my fur baby

tina426

Reaction score
While i am a ftm, i do have a darling fur baby. He's a 35lb black lab my hubby and i adopted the week after we finished college and moved in together 500 miles away from our families, whose snuggled us thru the stresses of growing up, wedding planning, home buying, and now pregnancy! He really is a family member...

And i feel like I'm cheating him!

He seems to understand completely, and is even obviously protective of me and my bump...

But i miss picking him up (he's about toddler size but with the bump he and i are both nervous), our runs (too hot for me to be comfy outside) and our general snuggles...even with intentional safe snuggles he's very cautious and just wants to guard me....

Any ideas from animal lovers? I just want him to know he's not unloved/forgotten!

My lab is the same way. He's gotten so protective that he won't let our other dog near me for snuggles. I have the same worry...that when LO arrives, he will feel neglected and left out. I don't think there is much you can do except let him adjust.

my dog was never an affectionate dog and I was always trying to cuddle her but since I got pregnant she always seems to be beside me, one thing I have started doing is keeping treats beside the bed and bringing her up for a couple treats and some cuddles before I go to sleep :)

I have a black lab too! He's such a big softie!when we had our last bub we put some gates up as he was only 1 and very boundy.. Looking back It was the wrong thing to do he started cxewing our skirting boards and being destructive when he never has before or since. This time we will just keep him as part of everything he loves the kids and often snuggles on the sofa next to my older two.. Although he does his best to avoid our toddler he's as gentle as anything with him. I would just make sure he is part of everything once baby comes.. He ll love ur little one just like he does u! X

Honestly, the guarding behaviour would worry me with a new baby coming into the home. You don't want him to start guarding you from the baby. I would seek the help of a trainer to deal with the guarding behaviour to make sure it doesn't become a problem. It might work out just fine, and he might love and protect the baby as one of the family, or he could see the baby as an intruder which is not a safe situation. Hopefully it all works out! I have a boxer, a golden retriever, and a cat (all have been around kids their whole lives and are great with them) and they either haven't noticed or don't care that I am pregnant, because their behaviour towards me hasn't changed in the slightest!

My girl Jetta is much more independent so I feel she will take the new baby in stride. My boys (Capone, Acheron and D'artagnan) however are momma's boys and have become even more so now that they have picked up on the fact that I am pregnant. I know that they will adore the baby but I too worry about not having as much time for them so far I've started making time for one on one time for each one for about 10-15 minutes a day doing whatever they want either playing or cuddling. I've also -tried- to keep up with excersise but with how hot it is none of us wanna go out side. When baby come and is old enough me a DH plan on making sure we go for walks at least every couple of days. All in all they're well behaved/trained house dogs so that'll make it even easier to allow them to just be around with our DD and that's really all they want.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->