My HSG Experience

1nceUponATime

Reaction score
If you are like me, and it is your first time getting an HSG...you are going to log on and read every blog/forum/board ever written on the subject. Most of those stories are terrifying! I wanted to write a little blurb about my experience, and maybe it could help someone else along the way...

So, I worked myself up for at least the entire month before this... like I said, Googling HSG experiences, and reading everything there was on the subject.... This terrified me even more (and I am not usually fearful of medical things).... I mean there were boards titled "I would rather give birth than ever do that again."... So, of course I was getting all worked up about this, and finally the day came....

I could barely eat my breakfast and swallow the antibiotics and the 800mg ibprofen the doctor told me to take.... My sister in law came with me because I wanted to save any time off my DH has for IUI or IVF if it comes to that. We drove to the hospital about an hour away and after checking in the nurse whisked me away to radiology. I undressed from the waist down, and put on a hospital gown. Then came the waiting....I had to wait for a while because I was super early.... and the radiologist decided to go off and do a sonogram because the doctor would still be a few minutes. The doctor came in finally, and put in a speculum and catheter into my cervix. The speculum was removed and the xray machine was positioned over me. Now, this was uncomfortable (like a smear), but was in no way the worst pain I ever felt. The radiologist tech was kept a few minutes further so I laid there for a bit just making awkward small talk with the doctor and the nurse. They were really comforting because I was super nervous (tearing up kind of nervous). The tech arrived and the doctor started injecting the dye. The catheter slipped out! So, they had to reinsert the speculum and the catheter. This time it was a little more uncomfortable, it was like a strong menstrual cramp. The speculum was removed once more, and she injected the dye. It felt like menstrual cramps (not even the most severe ones I've ever had..... I got to see the dye spill into my tubes and out the other side....YAY, tubes aren't blocked (although my problem is I don't ovulate, but the news is still great).... They took the catheter out, provided me a towel to clean myself up, and a pad (the pad is important!)...

The dye does leak out of you, so the pad is important..... It's not bad though... So, overall. I would say the worst part about this was waiting for it to happen, and the way I worked myself up. The procedure was uncomfortable, but not extremely painful. The doctor and the staff were extremely comforting too. The nurse held my hand and kept saying comforting things. I went on with my normal day (I took the day off of work, but that really wasn't necessary)...I went shopping and did groceries even. I only started getting a few very mild cramps just now (10 hours later).... and who knows if it is even related.

So, to those of you who are getting an HSG....don't read all the horror stories! You can do it!

Thanks for sharing! I may have to have one as well. Glad to hear its not so bad!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->