My induction experience

Vix6584

Reaction score
Sorry it is late, but wanted to share my experience of induction for any mums who may be due to have one in the near future.

I was induced into labour on the 3rd Nov, had beautiful baby boy on the morning of the 4th Nov :).

The induction started with a tampon type thing inserted into lady bits, this releases hormones to start labour and stays in for 24 hours, (you do have to stay laying on bed for an hour after it is put in). Not a very comfortable thing to be honest, and what I will say is at this point there is no point delaying the inevitable and try and get your labour going as much as you can to avoid prolonging the induction (it can go on maximum of 3 days, and if it fails it results in c-section). What I done was stay mobile and walk about the ward as much as I could and I truely believe this helped progress the labour.

4 hours into the induction I started contracting, only bad thing was it was a back to back labour and was quite painful... so ladies if you get a lot of pain in your back don't keep it to yourself and tell the midwives about it so you can get the pain relief you need. This was my first time of having a baby so had no idea and thought it was a normal labour.

The contractions continued well into the evening but was still back to back, did try things to get baby to turn around the other way (back to back is baby's back pushing agains't your spine). The things I tried to get baby to turn was to have bath and bounce on birthing ball, and when I went to bed that night to sleep on my left side. During the night though the contractions stopped and when I got up for a wee in the morning the tampon thing came out and I believed this to be a failed induction.

I was wrong, an hour later I started getting stomach ache, and then my back started hurting again. Went on the CTG monitor, and eventually ended up pulling off the straps myself as the pain of laying on my back was getting unbearable. I had a sweep and was 3cm, not enough to go to delivery. I decided to have a bath again, and then after to go on the birthing ball. The labour came on very strong and very fast. I think I woke the whole ward up from screaming in the bath from pain, to the point I was crying for a epidural. The only painkiller I had was codeine. Had to get out of bath, went back to ward and was given another sweep, within 20 minutes I had gone from 3cm to 6cm, so got rushed down to delivery.

When we got to delivery I was 10cm, too late for any pain relief, the only thing I could have was gas and air. Birth was very fast and now I'm a mummy to a very handsome little boy :)

So the induction was a success, and my advice is to try and progress the labour yourself by staying mobile as much as you can, and if you get pain in your back don't stay silent about it so that you can get the pain relief you need as back to back is very painful.

Sorry for the essay, I hope this gives you some insight ;)

Also to note I was 1cm at beginning of induction, so I believe induction or not little one was ready and would have probably gone into a natural labour that week anyway (was due on the 22nd Nov) I was getting a lot of signs beforehand, mainly the frequency of braxton hicks contractions... did have a few close calls. But seriously you do know the difference between braxton hicks and real contractions... I never believed it before, but it's true.

Was due to have waters broken after the 24hrs induction, but believe waters broke while in the bath, so I wouldn't be able to tell you what it feels like when your waters go unfortunatly.

Spent 5 days in hospital with little one. He did have a touch of jaundice which wasn't nice and had to have treatment, but that is almost gone now and he is healthy :).

Recovery for myself, I did tear and needed stitches, still going through healing process now a little bit of bleeding but getting there slowly and get moments of soreness... but I think the main irritating part is itchyness and salt baths, really want a normal bath now.

There is some positives to induction though... being given a date you can prepare properly and go to hospital with all your hospital bags knowing it's not a false alarm. My husband was able to take his paternity leave according to the induction date which was nice, so he was there throughout the whole induction and stay at hospital :), also the fact of no longer clock watching and timing contractions at home which is very frustrating.

Congratulations!

My induction experience this time was almost identical to yours, our little boys have the same birthday, I couldn't have any pain relief apart from a few puffs on gas and air and he was also back to back.

why were you induced early hun. Ive been told i get sweep my due date an iduction at 12days over (hope not as thtts xmas day 2 toddlers at home too). Ive never gone over due so never had sweep or induction. Glad alls well with lil one and yourself.

Thanks for the congrats :) and congrats Anniebobs on your little boy :) 4/11/14 reads the same backwards as it does forwards.

Heard a lot about inductions being more painful than normal labour, but as this is first baby I wouldn't be able to say if it is worse to be honest. It was very painful but worth it.

I was induced due to baby's weight dropping and there was concerns about his growth. I also had gestational diabetes. Was induced at 37 weeks.

why were you induced early hun. Ive been told i get sweep my due date an iduction at 12days over (hope not as thtts xmas day 2 toddlers at home too). Ive never gone over due so never had sweep or induction. Glad alls well with lil one and yourself.
I was induced at 13 days over this week and it went really well. I just needed a wee push to get started, one pessary. Contractions started and that was me. A very similar experience to my daughter when I wasn't induced xx

Thank you for posting. I'm being induced as I have GD and am slightly terrified at how long it can take so reading positive things really helps xxxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->