my little girl came home yesterday - help with temperatures please

chloe281210

Reaction score
Hi all,

I am new here. I had my little girl Chloe last Tuesday 28th Dec at 33wk+2.

For her gestation she had a good weight - 4lb 13oz. She had an infection when born which was treated with anti biotics, and had phototherapy for jaundice for 2 days. Her weight dropped to 4lb 8oz but is gradually building back up.

She was discharged from SCBU yesterday lunch time and was so nice to bring her home. Whilst in the unit, they monitored her temperature every 4 hours (along with her feeds) The ward was very hot and she only went into a cot from her incubator 3 days before she left. They told us her temp should be in the range of 36.6 - 37.2c and anything either side of that she needed more/less layers. HOwever, since having her home we havent managed to get a temp reading of more than 36.8 - and that was after id cuddled her for an hour. Other than that its mainly in the region of 36.1-36.5c

Should we be worried about this? We called the nhs direct line, and the doctor seemed baffled that we were taking her temperature in the first place. When we explained that the SCBU had told us to, he just said that 36-37 is fine for a baby and as long as she has no other symptoms then dont worry. Easier said than done!

We are just confused as to what we are supposed to be aiming for. She has quite a few layers on and over her, and we have our heating on (at 22c) the nurse said not to have the heating on high and just at a temp which is comfortable for us.

Does anyone know what the ideal temp is or can give us advice on your own experience? Is it just her adjusting to the different environment outside the sauna like ward? Am i just being an over paranoid first time mum?

Any help really appreciated, thanks

I would go with how her chest and behind her neck feels and if they are warm then she is fine. It's quite hard to get an accurate temp at home because I think the head ones read lower and you have to get under arm ones in correct position without any air pockets otherwise it reads lower as well.

I think this is always a worry when you bring a prem home but don't worry you get more confident as time goes on.

Xx

I was told that between 36.5 and 37.5 was acceptable. Our NICU midwives (who visited after discharge) took Andrew's temperature every time, and it was always low. We ended up with them advising that he even wear a hat in the house, as well as lots of layers.

It seemed like it was an age/size thing because about a month after coming home, he seemed much warmer and we could start dressing him more "normally".

thanks for your replies. Chloe's temperature has thankfully gone up slightly, albeit still with a few layers on. We are taking her temp under the arm, and i do think it is affected by her wriggling at times.

She seems content, is taking her feeds and back of neck is always warm. Going to keep monitoring it and will keep layers on and hopefully her body will adjust once she gets to term. :)

Thanks xx

I think the temperature ranges Marley gave were the ones we stuck to. Abby hated being cold. We used plenty of blankets and a hat when she was coolest - but I never had a hat on her for sleeping. I'd much rather she woke up cold than overheated.

I would suggest, if you can afford it, getting an in the ear thermometer. They are so much easier and quicker to use!

Congratulations on your wee one getting home. It's sooooo exciting isn't it!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->