my little man and his battle with NEC

colourful20

Reaction score
I gave birth to Lucas on 06/10/12 by emergency ceasaren at 31 weeks 2 days as he just wanted to be out. He was born perfect and was breathing well on his own. He tolerated feeds initially and then after 2 days started being sick. He also had blood in his poo.

Lucas was put on a ventilator to help with his breathing and was diagnosed with suspected necrotising enterocolitis and antibiotics were administered. A condition which can be fatal. We were rushed to a NICU about an hour away from home on 09/10/12. On 11/10/12 Lucas was in agony and the morphine he was on wasn't alleviating his pain. After a scan it was shown that his bowel had perforated. Therefore he needed surgery.

Thankfully the surgery went well and only 3 cm of bowel was removed which meant that he did not need a stoma. It is now two days past surgery and he is doing ok. I will update on progress.

Aww I'm so sorry that you both are going through this. I really hope that he continues to get better and better.

:hugs:

Oh no, sweetie. NEC is so scary, but babies who have it are thriving and doing very well nowadays, even if they had a perf. Did they start Lucas on full feeds right away?! BOO if they did. Do they have an estimate of how long he'll have to be IV fed after this surgery?

Definitely going to be following progress.

xo

So glad that lucas is doing well one of my twin developed NEC but Thomas had to have a stomia as they took 10cm of bowel out when he was 29 weeks old Thomas is now 13months old and doing great he had it reversed when he was 6months old they are little fighters these babies get well soon Lucas x

Glad to hear the surgery went well. Sending positive healing energy your way.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->