My Mom - Update

Chris77

Mommy to PJ and Gavin
Reaction score
Ladies I need your prayers.

My Mom is sick. About 2 weeks ago she was put on Augmentin for a ear infection. 10 days later, she broke out in horrible buring rashes all over her body, her mouth and lips were swollen etc. She went to her doctor and he gave her a shot of steroids plus put her on prednisone for a week. After stopping the prednisone the reactions came back. She was in the hospital Saturday night because her right hand became paralyzed and she was in EXRUCIATING pain! She couldn't zipper her pants, pick up a glass, couldn't straighten out her fingers, nothing. She couldn't even go to the bathroom by herself! The doctor in the ER said she's definitely having a reaction to something but they don't know what. They pumped her full of more anti-histamines and sent her home. Now all the reactions and the rashes have started to effect her joints. She was home maybe 45 minutes and everything went black and she fainted for 10 minutes. This was at 3 in the morning. Meanwhile her body is still burning terribly and her lips are swollen. This is a week after being on Prednisone for a week. Also, just to complicate things, she has a mass on her right hand (not related to the reactions) that I have been telling her for MONTHS to get checked out as it kept getting bigger. It's now HUGE and it's on the finger she uses to hold her cigarette. So, the doctor told her she has to get it removed ASAP as it might be cancerous. The doctor has seen masses like this before and they are USUALLY not cancerous so we're keeping our fingers crossed.

So I spoke with my boss today because I may take 3 days of sick leave. I can take 3 sick days under FMLA to care for a family member. So, my mom is going to call me after she goes to the doctor today and let me know what's going on.

She has the doctor appt for her hand today that she's talking about cancelling and I've been yelling at her. I told my Dad do NOT let her cancel this appt, throw her in the car if you have to, she's tiny she don't weigh much. But she's talking about not wanting to do it (surgery) around the holidays and will wait until after X-mas. Um, okay NO, I told her not to worry about xmas that I'll cook dinner and take care of everything or if she's not up to company, we'll have xmas the following week and that she just needs to take care of herself.

Has anyone heard of this type of reaction?? Severe allergic reactions is very rare with Augmentin but can happen but not usually quite as severe as my mom is experiencing.

:hug: I've never heard of anything like that so don't really have any suggestions. But I will keep you and your mom in my thoughts and prayers :hugs: I hope they find the cause of the reactions soon

Well, my mom just got back. Her hand paralysis is not related to the reactions but is a reaction of the reaction because they just (today) dx'd her with Raynard's disease, so this reaction she had with the augmentin caused the reaction in the hand b/c of the Raynard's - if that makes any sense. She fainted because the ER gave her too many pills.

Still no update on the mass on her hand though, will probably have that next week.

:hug: that's awful that she fainted because they OD'd her

I've never heard of that, but I'll certainly keep your mum in my prayers :hugs:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"