My nappies stink, and it's not for need of a strip wash...

T-Bex

Mother of one
Reaction score
My nappies have started to seriously ming. We've just moved, and have a new washing machine; could that be why? Also, we're not able to line dry as much down here, so am tumble drying (not happy about this); could this be part of it too? I just can't get the pee smell out. Also, when they're sat in their box before I was them, them smell so strongly of amonia, it knocks me slightly sick, whereas before, it honestly didn't bother me.

We don't use detergent, so I know it's not because of clogged microfibre... I might try to do a stripwash anyway, though.

Help, nappy veterans. HEEEEEEEELP!

Sounds like a strip wash might be in order, or at least something to try to see if it helps.

Is your LO teething at the moment? Teething can make a baby's pee more concentrated (which I *think* is to do with the change in saliva). It could be that which is affecting the smell? I know that my LO's nappies HONK of ammonia, and she's definitely teething at the moment :sick:

I use tend to alternate between Fairy non-bio, and bold 2-in-1, both of which get rid of the smell for me. Sorry I don't have any real advice!

She is teething quite badly, I suppose. Her mucky nappies have also been pretty bad, so I guess it's to be expected.

Right, well, that's my plans for monday night; strip washing all evening. :thumbup:

check the filter of your new washing machine and give it a good clean out i find my stuff starts to smell a bit if the filter is needing clearing out, other than that a strip wash is probably the best idea

I had to bleach my microfibre as no matter how many strip washes I did, they just cling to the ammonia!

1.Try bleaching (microfibre only- not the natural fibre inserts)

2. Use a few drops of essential oil in the softener drawer.

3. Try a really hot wash to blast any mould build up in the machine- I didnt know until I spoke to a plumber that doing constant 'cool' washes, water mould builds up. You should always do an empty 90 degree wash now and again to keep mould at bay.

4. Try washing your nappies in smaller loads, so there is more water in the washes to rinse/wash more thoroughly. Remember the inserts are meant to absorb alot of moisture so you cant load up the washing machine like you would in relation to a normal 'clothes load'

Hope that helps you sort your problem! :thumbup:

Maybe one wash with biological to hammer the smell? I find that a really bad bucket needs a super hot wash with bio to make them smell nice again.

Right first of all you need to sort the washing machine:

Get some bog standard BIO powder and do an empty wash on 90 degrees, then your washing machine will be all nice and clean.

Then do a DOUBLE STRIP

First you soak all nappies (inserts, outers, everything) in a fifty-fifty solution of white vinegar and lukewarm water (in bath overnight is best), this'll kill the smell then

do a 60 degrees wash with a FULL AMOUNT of bog standard BIO powder and rinse rinse rinse rinse till there's no bubbles left. Getting some UV light on them afterwards would be ideal but if not tumble dry on a low heat.

Good luck :thumbup:

Hoe do you bleach the inserts?

First you soak all nappies (inserts, outers, everything) in a fifty-fifty solution of white vinegar and lukewarm water (in bath overnight is best), this'll kill the smell then

eek, I wouldnt soak the outers, leaving them to soak starts to degrade the PUL lining in the pocket outers....may start to crack and peel away if soaked for long periods of time :wacko: Everything else...go for it :thumbup:

Hoe do you bleach the inserts?

capful or two of bleach, into a bucket of cold water, leave to soak until they turn whiter, giving them a swish every so often....rinse like crazy (I do this by hand/gloved hand at first so I dont get any remnants of bleach in my washing machine drum as it may discolour nappy outers if not rinsed out well) then once all bleachy smell is gone...do a machine rinse and spin :thumbup:

plus the outer wont what is smelling, i would soak all but the pul items too hun

Is there a difference in your water?

We have really hard water where we live with no softener for it and it makes a HUGE difference in washing our diapers.

eek, I wouldnt soak the outers, leaving them to soak starts to degrade the PUL lining in the pocket outers....may start to crack and peel away if soaked for long periods of time :wacko: Everything else...go for it :thumbup:

I wouldn't use vinegar on anything with PUL either. Soaking isn't too bad for a one-off though... after all, nappies ARE designed to get very wet so I would think a one-off emergency is ok if you feel it's needed.

^^^WSS^^^I tend to soak the PUL outers in vinegar as an emergency measure as I find that the fleece or suede cloth can get whiffy and as long as you only do it every so often the PUL is fine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->