My Positive Vbac story.

hanni

Reaction score
My birth with my first baby was awful, 42 hours in total, 15 hours of active labour ending in an emergency ceserean under a general anaesthetic, pretty much everything that could go wrong, did!

With this pregnancy I was hoping for a vbac, but with being overdue and induction date growing closer I was losing hope and feeling disheartened.

Induction was booked for 40+9 and I had 2 sweeps, 1 at 40+2 and the other at 40+5. Both times my cervix was too high to reach properly and tightly closed. I could have cried and was losing all hope, I'd decided that if my cervix was still high and closed when it came to induction day I'd have an elective as I didn't want another awful labour and was terrified of being put to sleep.

I woke up on the morning of 40+6 and noticed a tiny amount of mucus plug, I tried not to get my hopes up and went on with my day. Was a bit gutted that nothing else happened and went for a nap with my son. Fell into the deepest sleep ever and woke up about 3 hours later at 5pm, went for a wee and there was more music plug with added bloody bits, yay!

I told my other half I fancied going for a walk so off we went. I got the odd contraction but I'd been getting them for weeks and weeks so was trying not to get excited. We walked for about an hour then went home. I had a bath, washed my hair and got the last bits of my bags together. I was definitely contracting and losing a lot more plug but they weren't regular. Varying from every 8 minutes, 3 minutes, 10 minutes. I got up and tidied around the house until going to bed to try and sleep at about 10pm, Anticipating a long and slow labour.
I managed to doze in between contractions but by about 12pm I had to get up. They still weren't regular and they were quite short but so so intense. I bounced on my ball and watched a bit telly until I went for another bath at about 1.30am to try and deal with the pain, I truly didn't know how I was going to cope with the pain if this was only the very beginning. By about 2.30 I rang my other half from the bathroom and told him to get out of bed and get my mam to come over and look after our son. She was at work so needed to get cover and drive from around half an hour away so it would take her a while. My other half rang my dad and asked him to come down as he was just up the road. I was a bit annoyed thinking he was getting him up for no reason but he was there within about 20 minutes. I was still worried about them tailing off and it not being the real deal.

We rang the hospital and she told us to head in and get checked, I said we would be about 45 minutes and she asked us if we could get there any sooner and so we left straight away.

At this point my contractions were coming on top of each other and I was struggling to cope. Got into the hospital assessment room at 3.35 and the midwife managed to quickly do an internal and yay, I was in labour and 4cm. I couldn't believe it, much faster progress than with my first. I was given gas and air and needed to be monitored for a bit due to my previous ceserean. The pain was getting terrible and the gas and air was starting to do nothing.

We were admitted into the delivery suit at about 4.20 and at this point I was starting to lose control, asking for more pain relief and shouting I couldn't do it without any. I said I needed to try and wee and so my other half helped me up and the midwife said she would check me again after I'd tried to wee (she could tell something was happening!) I was checked again and to my complete shock I was already 10cm! She said if I felt like pushing I could. Once I started pushing she could see the bulge of her waters so she ruptured them and said I'd have my baby out in no time. She took my gas & air from me and said it would hinder my ability to push, I was begging my other half to give it back to me even just to bite on but she said I didn't need it. Sure enough after just half an hour of pushing our baby girl was born at 5.25 weighing 8lb 11oz. She was placed straight on me and I was in such shock. I couldn't get over how quick the whole thing was. My labour was 1 hour 55 minutes in total. The placenta was delivered withing 5 minutes. She was telling me to cough it out and was massaging my stomach which was agonising but I was so confused at what she expect a cough to do so I stopped with the coughing, gave a big push and it came straight out.

I did have a 2nd degree tear which was painful to be stitched up but to pleased I manged to get the birth I wanted only using gas and air.

We were sat drinking tea and eating toast whilst feeding within an hour. Such an amazing experience. Going from a whole surgical team and being put to sleep to only one midwife and not even a cannula fitted.

Our beautiful girl is doing great.

Congratulations! That's a quick labor!

Great story so glad this time around was a much more positive experience, congratulations

Congratulation, so happy you got the birth you hoped for x

Congratulations on your vbac and your baby girl x

Gas & air was also taken away from me during pushing for the same reason lol x

Brilliant story, so glad it was so much better for you second time round! Congrats :)

Congratulations that is a fantastic birth story I would love mine to be like that! X

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lynnedm78
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->