My son's evaluation will be soon...I hope!! ****UPDATE****

Ilovehim89

Reaction score
My son is being evaluated for Autism/Sensory Processing Disorder His speech therapist he had in Idaho said he could have the high functioning Autism. He is 26 months.

He always needs something going on with his mouth. (Biting, putting his fingers in his mouth, blowing random raspberries, overly kissing animals, licking, etc.)

He can give eye contact but not for very long a lot of the time.

Does not wave bye bye or Hi

He WAS non verbal but now says some small words but has a hard time pronouncing the first letters like he will say "I" for HI "oggy" for Doggy, etc. He only has about 5-6 small words in his vocab.

He doesn't really know how to really act around other kids. He is also very clingy on some days and others he doesn't wanna be touched

Picky Eater

He throws violent temper tantrums and sometimes he repeats his sign language for MORE.

Wanders without purpose

Runs and sometimes walks on tiptoes

Has seizures

Over active

clumsy

Doesn't respond to his name alot of the time

Stares at "nothing"

likes parts of things like spinning wheels

Puts picture frames with pics in them in straight lines

enjoys stacking cans when he has them

enjoys spinning around

hand flaps in front of his face (mostly when he doesnt want something)

over response to pain at times

purposely hurts himself like biting, pinching, pulling his hair

Doesn't quite understand when he is hurting someone

Also 2 weeks, we tried to get James to lie down on the living room floor with a sleeping bag and a big pillow from the couch. When we sat the pillow down on the floor he started trying to move it and crying and had a serious melt down and did his MORE sign repeatedly. Well, we tried it again another day....he did the same thing including the repeated MORE hand sign. My mom suggested maybe putting the big pillow BACK where it belongs and what do you know? James stopped crying!!! So, I guess he wanted it where it is SUPPOSED to be. He does the same thing if I bring my blanket out to the couch from my bedroom and I couldnt figure it out til now!

I am going to be getting him evaluated by an OT here soon, I already called the 1st Steps in my area and they are sending a referral over for him. So hopefully they can get him in soon!​

Awe, he sounds alot like Makena when she was that age, except she never spoke at all. Nothing...not even mom. Makena doesn't have seizures though. It will be better, believe it or not, with a diagnosis. You will get more support, and help, and it's just nice to have a label so you can research and join support groups knowing that yes, you do belong there (that was what I was always worried about). There is lots you can do, espesially since he is so young. My daughter is now going into grade one (diagnosed at age 2) and she can speak full conversations (still behind though) and is at grade level. There is things she struggles with...self care, social skill, communication...but, compared to how she was, it is amazing. My heart goes out to you...this phase you are in, it isn't easy. :hugs:

Thanks hun! I actually got a call today that said they will be doing his intake evaluation at our house tomorrow afternoon, I am nervous. I don't even know what the "intake" is.
It will be better with a diagnosis, a little better, he will be able to go to preschool here early if he is diagnosed so he can get on track

Yeah, I was always nervous too. I remember the first time I saw someone, I bawled my eyes out in her arms. It was the first person I felt 'safe' telling all my worries about my baby to. Preschool made a world of difference for Makena too! And..she loved it. Let me know how you get on tomorrow. It's nice that it is at your home.

James had his intake evaluation today and she said he has a lot of sensory/cognitive issues/social issues/communication issues and that his speech is definitely more than 50% delayed. She is setting up the actual evaluation and should be calling me tomorrow to tell me when it will be. They said if he is diagnosed they can get him into a special class at 33 months 3 days a week

glad to hear they are getting straight on it!!! :hugs:

she also said that it is definitely something but it could be an ASD or SPD

SPD is Sensory Processing Disorder. She also said he had social/communication issues as well

oh, ok...I think I have heard of that. Have you done the test online for ASD? Makena always fell somewhere between having it, and not having it...which only confused me further. I hated that stage where I had no answers. It is so frustrating. Does SPD have social/communication challenges?

oh, ok...I think I have heard of that. Have you done the test online for ASD? Makena always fell somewhere between having it, and not having it...which only confused me further. I hated that stage where I had no answers. It is so frustrating. Does SPD have social/communication challenges?
Yes, I have. I took the ATEC one which is for over 24 months but since he is only 26 months some of the stuff couldn't have applied to him yet since he isn't old enough like wetting the bed because he is still in diapers. He scored 135/180, lowest is the best on the test i took and it ranges from 0-180

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->