My Sweet Kaden - Aug 4, 2009

callyd

Mum to Kaden and Merridy!
Reaction score
Here's Kaden's birth story and the story of the drama that followed for the next 10 days...

On Aug 4, I woke up with cramps at 3am (i only fell asleep at 2 so i was not impressed) but as time went by I realized the cramps had a pattern. So i began timing them and they were all over the place - 10 min apart, 2 min apart blah blah....I waited it out til 6:45 when I woke up DH and said i'd been having contractions....so we timed them more and they were almost constant at 3.5 min apart.

DH went to grab stuff and in the meantime my water broke while i was in the bathroom so i plopped on the toilet thankfully for that experience

we drove to the hospital and signed in and they hooked me up to monitors for 20 min - they checked me and i was 6cm at this point. so i walked to my new room and by then i was 8cm lol i was in massive amounts of pain and breathing through it sucked. but i did.

within 10 more min i felt like i had to push - they checked me and i was 9.5 - so almost there. needless to say i was pushing him out 10 min later.....it all happened so fast!!

i pushed for i guess an hour. it hurt like all get out - but i did it - no drugs, just like i had hoped to.

5 lbs 14oz born at 10:47am, 51 cm long

we had a scare. he had the cord around his neck and although he had a strong pulse, he was not breathing. they tried for 2 min to get him to start and then they called a Code Pink (!!) and 30ish ppl stormed the room. It was terrifying. I saw them with an oxygen mask and pump thing and also they hung him upside down and i saw them rubbing him etc - DH and I said a prayer right there for him to take his first breath.

at 10:51 he did. He cried and then we did. Our baby was okay...i was so scared.

so i got to see and hold him for literally 5 seconds - not the plan we'd wanted but Kaden's health is #1!

He was in the Nicu on an iv for his sugar level and nutrients and they monitored his blood pressure. Initially he was in there because he did not suck on me or on a bottle and obviously needed to gain weight. It was a struggle to say the least. His weak suck got better and better each day on a bottle - I've been pumping and feeding him that as much as possible but supplementing with formula as at the hospital we NEEDED to get those calories into him and I did not have enough supply. DH and I lived at that hospital and made sure we were there each and every feeding - he ate for us even though it took an hour at first to get 30 ml into him. The nurses wouldn't spend the time we did feeding him and kept telling us to put him on a feeding tube, something we did not want unless it was absolutely needed.

As the days passed he began eating like a champ - now he is polishing off his whole bottle in 15 -20 min nd tomorrow we are meeting with a LC to get him back on the breast.

He ended up spending 8 whole days in the NICU because on Aug 4 he had an apnea episode where he stopped breathing for 5-10 seconds. His first doctor didn't even tell us! Only when he got a new doctor did we find out. We were livid with the hospital. Over his stay he had an EEG on his brain to make sure his one apnea episode was not seizure related (came back normal) an EKG on his heart (they could hear a murmur that his paediarician today could no longer hear - hoping that his followup with the cardiologist comes back normal), a chest xray to make sure his lungs were clear (they were). We saw nurses burst 9 veins when they were moving his IV, saw our angel hooked up to electrodes and could only hold him for moments at a time.

His last 2 days in the hospital he was transfered to the Paeds floor for monitoring to make sure his breathing was okay.

On Aug 14 we were finally discharged - Kaden is up to 6lbs even now after losing weight in the hospital. He had his first normal doc appt today and they said he looks great.

It is amazing to be home finally after 10 days in the hospital. We're settling into life as a family finally and are happy to set our own schedule and have copious amounts of cuddles!!!

Our first picture - I held him for 4 seconds before he wa taken away to the NICU
https://photos-a.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs134.snc1/5731_114634454652_511849652_2103776_6432065_n.jpg

Heart melting eyes
https://photos-f.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs154.snc1/5731_114634394652_511849652_2103773_188211_n.jpg

https://photos-f.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs163.snc1/6100_141381971347_642156347_3745573_4625098_n.jpg

https://photos-f.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs163.snc1/6100_144267471347_642156347_3795189_3988712_n.jpg

Gosh what a birth!!! so fast but u must have been so worried afterwards! I am so happy that everything is ok now. He is gorgeous!

Awww bless! Kaden is gorgeous how are you now? x

congrats on a beautiful baby, and glad all is well now xxxx

Oh he is absolutley gorgeous!! well done on your little man!

xxxxxx

He's gorgeous and exactly the same weight as Emma was :D So tiny! x x

He's gorgeous! Glad to hear you're home and all is well. Congrats!

He is absolutely gorgeous, congratulations. So glad you're all finally home and he's doing so well :hugs: x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->