My Unexpected home birth story of ds no2

lucylu79

Reaction score
Anyone reading this that has come across any of my previous posts will know that I was on labour watch forever! Ok, not really but at 9 days overdue that's how I felt!

There was the 5 week countdown as I was convinced I would be early and then come my due date on the 9th Oct I was seriously watching out for EVERY sign possible. I was constantly watching out for my plug as I was sure once i'd seen it that labour was around the corner.

Everyday I would do my exercises, go for long walks, use the ball for hours at a time, I used Clary Sage Oil in my bath, on my bump during massage and the occasional sniff straight from the bottle. I did try a curry even though my tummy hated it and alas at 40 weeks pregnant my hubby said no more 'dtd' as it was too weird for him by then. (His loss I say, it'll be weeks before i'm ready to that now!! :haha:)

So, at my 41 week appoint I had my sweep. My midwife was happy to announce I was more than ready, 2-3 cms and easily stretched to 4, she was feeling babies head and there was no waters stopping him from coming. She thought he would come that night, but definitely within 48 hours or so.

Now with ds1 I had to be induced due to my waters breaking and no contractions starting. To be fair I hated the whole experience and although I managed it without an epi I had already decided that if this birth resulted in an induction that I was going to try and enjoy the whole experience as much as possible an therefore get it. If I wasn't going to get my planned 'calm as possible' water birth why should I go through a horrid induction once more I thought, and with my induction booked for the tues I was starting to lose hope on my water birth.

Nothing happened fri after the sweep, nothing sat and then by sat evening hubby and I decided to start planning towards tues' induction and sorting ds1 out. Hubby went to work Sunday and was pretty bummed to be fair - he had provisionally booked it off as paternity leave and his work load was effectively covered.

Sun morning ds and I got up as usual and got ready for the day. My brother was visiting (as he thought the baby would be here and this is the only weekend he could come before Xmas) so we were getting together for lunch. He works on a big private estate and had brought up some beautiful Dexter Beef. Ds and I went food shopping at 10am and I bought a cheesecake for pudding. We took the 'bumpy way' home just in case and headbanged all the way home to Guns and Roses.

We got to my mums for dinner and I said that I wasn't feeling up to much walking today as I was feeling a bit more uncomfortable than usual. my sat down to our lovely beef roast and soon after dinner I said 'Come on, lets get a little walk in before pudding'. We didn't get far as I just couldn't, we turned around and went back to the house. No more than 5 minutes after I sat down I got what I thought was my first contraction, but because i'd never experienced 'real labour' before I waited to see what happened before I spoke to anyone about it. 5 minutes later another one came and the sudden urge to go for a number 2. When I returned I said to myself if I get any more pain I will tell mum. Very quickly afterwards I got my 3rd contraction and mum stood there asking if I wanted a cuppa. I calmly said 'Mum, i've started' and she turned from the worried mum she'd been for the past 8 months to the perfect calm mother. We timed the next one and it showed them to be coming every 5 minutes and lasting a minute.

My mum only lives 5 miles away from me but honestly it was the WORST journey ever! We live in the countryside which at the moment is full of pheasants as the shooting season has just started, oh my...Good jod ds was sitting in the front as in my head I was screaming 'Just run the f@@kers over!' Contractions were even faster by this point but I wasn't in any mood to time them, I concentrated on my breathing and performed the 'Relax' method which really helped me through the whole event.

I got home and rang the birthing centre at 3.15, tried to get in the bath but instead went straight to my bedroom, took my trousers off, got on my knees and lent over the bed. At 3.45 the midwife arrived and I was starting to panic ever so slightly, I wanted to push but I really wasn't sure if it was another number 2 :shrug:
She tried to ask my questions but I just couldn't speak, I tried and tried but the words wouldn't come out, she said at this point she knew I wasn't far away. She asked if I wanted to get to the birthing centre but I knew I couldn't make it, She quickly managed to check me and thankfully I heard the glorious words 10cm's and time to push.
She rang for the 2nd midwife who thankfully was only 5 mins away, she arrived at 4.15 and I had already done the totally embarrasing number 2 I's been dreading.........Ladies, A full beef dinner before birth aint pretty and my hubby will never let me live that down I just know it :blush:

I was having Gas and Air by now and yes it did 'take the edge off' but some of the pushing pains were really intense and I did start to doubt if I could actually do this! I didn't say anything though, continued my breathing and pushed for all my life. She said babies heartbeart dropped a little and i'm sure I needed to hear this to help me get on with it. I recall her saying earlier that once my waters had gone that he would very quickly follow so I tried my hardest to 'burst them' in my mind, soon enough a trickle came, followed by a massive gush and as she was dealing with that my baby came....he shot out of me arms first and it was such a relief! At 4.31 she passed my baby boy through my legs and I held him tightly, they helped me onto the bed and I cwtched him whilst he pooped all over me and the midwife! I recall saying something like 'Like mother like son' and we all had a little giggle. :dohh:

I had a 1st degree tear that they decided not to stitch which to be fair is healing by the day. I'm feeling great and so much more active than with ds1 as I had a 2nd degree with him. lots of stitches and generally felt poo.

The midwifes were amazing, the one stayed and helped me into the shower and then changed the bedding with hubby and made sure that when I came out that everything was clean and ready for me.
Hubby and I were sitting downstairs sharing our news with everyone at about 7pm and we couldn't believe what had just happened! We still talk about it all in amazement.

All in all my pushing stage only lasted 19 minutes and everyone in my village is talking about it, apparently at parents evening the most asked question was 'Is it true about the baby born in 19 minutes of pushing?' Lol, i'm loving the attention to be fair.

Little Dougie was born weighing 7lbs exactly and although it's hard sometimes when you're tired its a loving type of tired, if that makes any sense!

He has a few latching problems - Well one really - He's impatient whilst waiting for the milk to come through so i'm pumping too. He loves the bottle but when he latches enjoys the boob too.

Although a home birth was never ever on my agenda I wouldn't change it for the world, in fact I would highly recommend it! I haven't been anywhere near the hospital and hubby never even saw the birthing centre!

Sorry it's so long and I might even think of more later!

One last thing though....I never did get my cheesecake :haha:

my first baby pooped on me when she first came out too! Left a stain on the bra that I was wearing and I've kept it as a loving reminder lol. I did most my pooping in early labor with both my deliveries but a little bit always comes out when I'm pushing I don't think u can avoid it unless you've done a full cleanse or enema and honestly who wants to put themselves through that when your already so uncomfortable.

Congratulations, what a fab birth story :). I really laughed at the "like mother like son" comment :haha:

Great story! So glad you enjoyed the home birth, hoping you get to enjoy that cheesecake soon! :)

I certainly have had that cheesecake!!! And it was lovely!!!!

Things are going great, somehow little Dougie has brought so much calm and more love into my heart, I almost feel at peace with things which I only put down to my first birth experience. I feel so happy, even when i'm a bit tired! I just hope its not going to go away.

x-x

Aww!! how sweet! Congratulations! so did your brother get to see baby?

Wow - I'd forgotten how hard sleepless nights were! Well, more like unbroken not sleepness. My little Dougie is fast asleep right now even with ds1 crashing and banging around but at night its a totally different story! Wakes every 1-1.5 hrs and guzzles milk like he's not eaten all day!

YAWN!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nirmala kann
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"