Name disappointment!?

boobee

1 DD/Expecting No 2
Reaction score
I know this sounds REALLY REALLY silly but does anyone else get a little surge of disappointment when you've decided on names you think aren't TOO popular and then see that others have chosen it too?!

We have 2 names that are pretty popular in America but just aren't really heard of in the U.K (I've looked at statistics for names in past couple of years) and I just saw a thread on here and BOTH names were in there. I know it's silly as I don't even know anyone on this site but I had a pang of 'OH someone else has chosen that too! :('

Maybe it's the hormones.... ha ha

I am exactly the same. Me and DH both love the names we've chosen but it appears half of the UK do aswell haha I keep searching for something less popular but really can't find anything I like.

I wouldn't say I'm exactly disappointed, but I haven't posted my little girl's name as I don't want the one other person on here to think I've stolen their name :haha: :blush:. We had chosen her name, and then I saw that someone else was naming their LO that. I'm okay with other people on here having the same name, as I don't personally know them and we live miles & miles away from each other :)

I take it that I'm one with the same name? I saw you'd mentioned Nate on the other thread? :haha:

I don't mind so much if it's someone on here, when I think about how many members there is on BnB I assume there's bound to be someone else picking the same name as me. However if it was someone I actually knew, I reckon I would feel pretty sad that someone else had chose my name.

No I didn't see yours ha ha! It was Jace and Calliope I saw :) I feel stupid saying it but wondered if others felt the same!

I think most women would to be honest! Oh Calliope is so pretty, never even heard that before. How'd you pronounce it though, the spelling has me confused lol.

I'm not sure how others pronounce it but I pronounce it cal-eye-opy :)

If it makes you feel better..I live Canada and neither of those names are popular here!! :) ...nice names though!

I don't mind people with the same names here as we don't know each other personally. I would be bothered if someone i knew chose the same name and their child was going to be in the same year as mine, as that gets confusing then! But other than that i don't really mind :)

It was probably my post. Calliope is actually extremely uncommon of a name and from statistics on baby sites only like 200 some odd babies were named Calliope last year, world wide. It's more common now then it was 5 years ago but still not popular. Actually a lot of people have given me some strange looks on my name choice but I don't care.

I don't think it is silly....I and OH chose names early on...now I find out that a distant cousin just named their new baby boy the same that we picked for the first name...I mean...I don't see this family member ever...we don't talk...we are just connected via facebook really...but I was highly irked when I saw the news...very happy for the new little bundle of joy but a bit upset because "our name" had been taken lol...I know it does sound silly...but it really isn't...I think it is something many women go through...afterall...there are plenty people around the world that share a name...they are still unique individuals...so I suppose we will all get over that initial irritation :)

Figured I would put this out there for you.

Calliope is ranked 4171 for popularity in girls names in the UK. In 2011, there was only 3 recorded births in the UK of children named Calliope.

I aim to be different as well. It is a beautiful name but I doubt you are going to find any one name that is an acceptable name that you won't hear some mention of someone using it. I hope the fact that I am naming my baby Calliope doesn't change your mind on the name.

After I had already chosen our girl name, I looked it up & saw it is actually gaining in popularity pretty quickly. I was sorta bummed out because I don't want to use a super trendy name, but I am so in love it & I have never heard of anyone anywhere near me naming their baby the name, that I don't really care. I have seen a few internet aquaintences use it. But, seeing as I don't know the gender yet & Its still relatively early, so I could change my mind.. But still!

Aww thanks everyone :) I don't think i'll change my mind no, in all honesty today i'm not that fussed now ha ha, think it was just that initial 'That's my name!!!". Like you say if it was someone I knew it would be different. At least i'm not the only one he he :)

I like both of those. :) I don't know any Jaces personally but I have a feeling the name will take off here in the US because of the Duck Dynasty craze. As far as Calliope, I know that's Callie's name on Grey's Anatomy but that's the only Calliope I've heard of lol. I wouldn't worry too much about it. If you've fallen in love with those names, then use them! :)

I like both of those. :) I don't know any Jaces personally but I have a feeling the name will take off here in the US because of the Duck Dynasty craze. As far as Calliope, I know that's Callie's name on Grey's Anatomy but that's the only Calliope I've heard of lol. I wouldn't worry too much about it. If you've fallen in love with those names, then use them! :)

That's where I got Calliope from ha ha ha!!!!!

I always wanted to me my girl Ella after Ella Fitzgerald. My first was boy, so not possible. But the Uk is pimping out that name like nothing else. Ella rose, Ella may. They are everywhere. So annoying.

A poster on here was looking for different ways to spell my top girl name and it was a bit disappointing.

However, I'd rather have it on BnB than IRL!

Right there with you. I told my mom we had picked Walden for a boy, and she immediately made the "Ew" face. She then asked, "...like Ashton Kutcher's character from Two and a Half Men?!"

BLEGH! I don't watch TV, so I had no idea...

Why would they pick such a stately sounding name for a character played by Ashton Kutcher on a show like Two and a Half Men??

:(

I think it happens more when your on here because your more likely to run across popular names in other countries and you automatically look for your choice or similar choices

my son is called Cain which apparently isn't even top 100 yet I know of 5 and Jake and that's 23rd but I only know of one other Jake

most of my 9 other children name choices are a bit more unique except maybe Billy which is a family name and Rose as a middle name (just because its pretty) and yet I still saw my choice of daughters name on here a while ago despite the fact that its a name that had its peek between 1850 and 1880 died out in popularity in 1920 :dohh:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->