Name frustration, please help!

SarahP13

Mummy to a princess :-)
Reaction score
So my husband is being an absolute pain with names. I'm only 26 weeks so no major rush but I know it will take us a while to come up with a shortlist and he's rubbish at talking about it. Also we're team yellow so need a couple of names for both boy and girl really.

We like traditional names mostly, and have two girls called Grace Mary and Evelyn (Evie) Elizabeth, I would like a name that works with their names. Middle name will be JAMES for a boy and, possibly but not definitely, JANE for a girl.

This is my list, with his comments next to them. Any thoughts on these names plus other suggestions gratefully received!

Rupert - ripe for teasing, too posh
Albert/Bertie - dogs name
George - too popular because of Prince George
Zachary - doesn't like 'Z' names
Arthur- too pompous
Lachlan - too Scottish (he's half Scottish!)
Rufus - dogs name
Oscar - doesn't like 'Oz or ozzie' (I agree with him on that bit!)
Fergus - too Scottish
Alexander - we both like it but good friend just used it & it doesn't wow us.

Harriet (Hetty) - he used to work with a Harriet
Beatrice - makes him think of Beatrix potter
Mabel - cats name (although he seems most accepting of this name!)
Florence - doesn't like naming after a place

Nelly - but of a wild card, my 3 yr old is desperate to call the baby nelly but we can't think of a longer name (which we would definitely want!). Don't like Helen, Ellen, Eleanor, Penelope. Other suggestions please?!

Sorry for the essay but I'm getting so frustrated! :dohh:

Rupert - Agree, bit too posh
Albert/Bertie - love this but prefer nn Albie
George - too popular because of Prince George, don't agree, actually dropped in charts after his birth.
Zachary - its quite nice
Arthur- cute, especially with nn Art/Arty
Lachlan - this is a nice name
Rufus - dogs name, totally agree
Oscar - doesn't like 'Oz or ozzie' (I agree with him on that bit!) agree too!
Fergus - too Scottish. Yep!
Alexander - It's a classic name and I know I should like it but it just nothing for me at all.

Harriet (Hetty) - i can understand being put off names by connections.
Beatrice - Love this name 💕
Mabel - cats name, how about Maybelle to offer nn of Belle??
Florence - love this name, I know it is a place name but I really don't see it as such, not compared to the likes of Paris, Devon or London
etc. It reminds me of Florence nightingale and that sort of era.

I think you have some really good name choices there 👍🏻. I love the nn Nellie and think it's adorable that your daughter thought of the name. I can't really think of any names that could be shortened other than those mentioned, however I'm sure if you go on some of the name sites then there'll be alternatives or derivatives x

I can't help on the girls name as our bAbys nickname is Nellie and the traditional nsmes like Ellen etc clash with our surname!

I think we have similar tastes in name so im going to suggest what is on our girls list this time

May
Ellen
Emmeline
Ivy
Evelyn and a Elizabeth were but obviously no good for you!
Rosemary
Ada

We also have an Alice which I think goes nice with your other girls names.

Boys- what about Felix? Similar to Fergus but perhaos less scottish sounding?!

I love Alexander and Oscar from your list x

Rupert - Agree, bit too posh
Albert/Bertie - love this but prefer nn Albie
George - too popular because of Prince George, don't agree, actually dropped in charts after his birth.
Zachary - its quite nice
Arthur- cute, especially with nn Art/Arty
Lachlan - this is a nice name
Rufus - dogs name, totally agree
Oscar - doesn't like 'Oz or ozzie' (I agree with him on that bit!) agree too!
Fergus - too Scottish. Yep!
Alexander - It's a classic name and I know I should like it but it just nothing for me at all.

Harriet (Hetty) - i can understand being put off names by connections.
Beatrice - Love this name 💕
Mabel - cats name, how about Maybelle to offer nn of Belle??
Florence - love this name, I know it is a place name but I really don't see it as such, not compared to the likes of Paris, Devon or London
etc. It reminds me of Florence nightingale and that sort of era.

I think you have some really good name choices there 👍🏻. I love the nn Nellie and think it's adorable that your daughter thought of the name. I can't really think of any names that could be shortened other than those mentioned, however I'm sure if you go on some of the name sites then there'll be alternatives or derivatives x

Thanks!! Appreciate your thoughts, I really can't decide myself which my favourite boys name is, none of them really click with me. Beatrice and Mabel are definitely my favourite girls names. Wish I could find a 'Nellie' name I love as DD2 is so stuck on it and I think it's cute!

I can't help on the girls name as our bAbys nickname is Nellie and the traditional nsmes like Ellen etc clash with our surname!

I think we have similar tastes in name so im going to suggest what is on our girls list this time

May
Ellen
Emmeline
Ivy
Evelyn and a Elizabeth were but obviously no good for you!
Rosemary
Ada

We also have an Alice which I think goes nice with your other girls names.

Boys- what about Felix? Similar to Fergus but perhaos less scottish sounding?!

I love Alexander and Oscar from your list x

At the moment everything is Nelly- dolls, teddies, even her scooter! We call the baby 'junior' but then she whispers to the bump 'nelly' as if she's wishing it. So cute. I love your other name ideas but think it needs to be two syllables if the middle name is only one, so not May. Don't really want another E name and Ivy is too close to Evie. My niece is named after my grandma Rosemary so that's out too. I do quite like Ada and Alice though, think they will go on my list!

As for Felix, I like the name but used to be a nanny and had a right terror called Felix! Can't bring myself to use that one. I also like Jasper but that's my brothers dog so that's out too!!

Alistair
Henry
Argyle
Archie
Fraser

Anna
Mavis/Maeve
Freya
Arabella

These are names inspired by your list im Scottish so a few Scottish names in there too x

Chanelle, Cornelia, danielle annabelle (which seems different but my friend does it that way) I love that she wants to call the baby Nellie

Oliver
Archer
Henry
Maxwell
Benjamin
Liam
Thomas
Theodore
Fletcher

Sadie
Freya
Charlotte
Audrey
Molly

Husbands are soo annoying. Mine kept saying no to everything, but wouldnt come up with his own suggestions!

Another way to get to the nn Nellie is Janelle. It's one I've always liked so it came to mind.

Thanks everyone, unfortunately I have lots of nieces and nephews and, as an ex nanny I've known a lot of kids too! I don't write all names off if I've known them but if they were particularly close to me (Archer, Felix, Annabelle to name a few!) then I struggle to imagine using the name for my baby.

Some good suggestions there though, think I'll see wha DH thinks of Fraser, Fletcher, Theodore and Molly!

Appreciate the ideas for 'Nelly' names, none of them really jumping out at me I'm afraid. Although Evie gets called a completely unrelated nickname half the time so we may still refer to the baby as Nelly regardless of her proper name!!

'Nellie' names that were suggested to me other than what you've mentioned are Nell and Nella.

To me though, Nell isn't quite pretty enough, and Nella is nice but not 'right' for me, but thought I'd put it out there for you.

Others suggested using Nellie in its own right, but again, sounds like you are like me and would prefer something more formal on birth certificate?

Yep, exactly! I prefer a more formal name on the birth certificate, just so they have a choice to be known by a more formal name when they're older. And although I like Nellie, it's not a name I would choose, I was just hoping to happen across the perfect name that Nellie would suit as a nickname.

Nell and Nella don't really do it for me either but thanks for the suggestions!

Thought of a good girls name for you I think its along the lines of mabel - Sybil x

What about noelle for the more formal name. I have a cousin named that and we called her nells but Nellie would work to for a nn.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->