Name - is this a problem?

Jennifurball

Mother of 1 and a bump!
Reaction score
I told my mum I wanted to call my baby Scarlett if it was a girl, I don't think she is super keen on it anyway but last night she pointed out that because my OH's surname begins with T, it will sound harsh when you put it together.

What do you think? I really love the name, OH isn't all that keen either. :shrug:

As in Scarlett T?

No.. not a problem at all :S she's just picking faults if she doesn't like it honey xx

Her name will be Scarlett Tinsley. I don't think that is hideous really! lol

I think that sounds nice! My last name has been rough, we were thinking Alison or James but our last name is Song so I understand what you mean. :dohh: In your case it works out though.

Aah doll, she's just being fussy, probably had a name in mind & hadn't quite got round to suggesting it....I think Scarlett is a lovely name & it makes naff all difference if her surname begins with T? Your OH on the other hand is a different matter....unfortunately he has to like it too. Ask him to give it a week & refer to the baby as Scarlett to see if he can get used to it...hopefully by the end of the week he'll think the name fits!

I think that sounds nice! It's down to you are your OH what you are going to name your LO so even though it’s nice to hear opinions they are just that, opinions, and your view is all that matters.

I am putting myself through this stress and don't even know if it is a girl yet! :dohh::haha:

I was thinking Alfie for a boy, really really struggling with boy names.

I think it sounds really nice. I really like the name Scarlett too, but my OH is dead set against it.

But stick with it, it sounds really pretty.

I wouldn't say OH is completely against it so fingers crossed. Really want a girlie now so I can call her Scarlett!

Since you are giving the baby his last name, which you don't have to do if you don't want to, then I think that gives you a bit more "leverage" to choose the first name. Obviously don't pick one he hates, but if you love it, then I think you can use the last name argument in your favour.

We have decided we are not talking about the name with ANYONE until the baby is born to avoid our mothers and siblings and friends and anyone else and his dog sticking in with their tuppence worth.

That is a really good idea, I would have preferred my surname really but I know his family would not like that, after all, we aren't married!

You are right, I should be in charge of names, he kept picking things like Emma and no offence to anyone, it doesn't do anything for me at all. It has to feel right for me. I am also not discussing it any more, people do put me off, one friend said you are naming her after Captain Scarlet, that annoyed me! Also I know a LOT of people pregnant around my stage and if they took a fancy to it and had theirs first, I would not be happy.

I am going to keep it under my hat anyway. :)

If you would prefer your surname you could double barrel it as a compromise.

Ultimately, as you are not married, the mother has full rights over the completion of the birth certificate and can put whatever first and last name she likes on it. Even if you were married the baby does not automatically have to have the dad's last name if the woman opted to keep her own name, but that would be more unusual.

We aren't married either but I'm fairly confident it will happen within a few years so I'm giving the baby his last name too. I expect us to be married before the baby goes to school if that happens, otherwise I'd change it to my own last name perhaps!

Double barrel would be a good idea. I can't see us marrying any time soon! :haha:

I know this sounds mean but he wants his late gran's name as her middle name and I am not keen, would I be out of order saying no to this or should I go along to keep things nice?

Hope people don't think I am above my station giving her double barrel haha! I say her, why do I keep saying her!? I don't even know yet lol. :blush:

Nothing wrong with it at all! I love all red names, like Scarlett, Ruby etc.

Go with the name you like (and maybe OH as well!), if you choose the first name it may be fair to let OH choose the middle name! People are not known by their middle names, it usually remains an initial only!

xxx

Perhaps it is mothers instinct about the gender?!

Anyway he is asking a bit much if he wants his last name and then his gran's middle name. What about your family? Anyway you have plenty of time to work out the finer details. Just say you'll think about it. Then when the baby is born you can claim it "doesn't suit her" or something.

You don't have to entirely double barrel it if you are not sure. Put his last name first and then yours if that works. miss out the hyphen and voila, his last name has been turned into an extra middle name if things don't work out.
But even if you do proper double barrel, I don't think it is all that "posh" these days. Loads of people who are not married have kids and do this so I think it is a lot more common now.

Her name would be Tinsley-Burton. Does that sound ok? I think it is only fair to include me, like you say, what about my grandparents, family name etc. There is only me and my sister with our surname and her little one has the OH's name. Plus they will probs get married then the name will be abolished!

To be honest, it is hard enough finding a first name, I would be happy without a middle name, I don't have one and have managed just fine! :haha:

Tinsley-Burton sounds fine. Not too much of a mouthful. I'd go with that. Our last names seriously do not work together so double barrel has never been an option, but yours work fine. In fact I think it sounds better that way around, Burton-Tinsley doesn't have as good a ring to it.

And of course it is only fair to include you! After all, you are the one carrying and giving birth to this child!!

And after his shocking behaviour, I think I have the rights! lol

Yes I think I will do that, and if we ever do get married, I will go double barrel too then baby won't need to change his/her name.

Aww I want my gender scan so much now, I really really am suffering! :haha:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"