Name too common?

KRae615

Reaction score
I am struggling to come up with a name for our baby boy that my husband and I can agree on. We are both of Irish descent, so are leaning towards more traditional English/Irish names. We have come up with a list of many names (I won't list them here), but none of the names so far we both like enough to settle on.

My parents both like Connor as a boy's name, which we had not considered at first, but now it's really growing on me. The main concern I have is that it's been in the top 100 names in the US for 10+ years, and I really don't want my son to have to go by "Connor H." in school. I know that sounds silly, but growing up there were always multiple kids in class with the same first names and I really hated sharing my name with someone else.

Anyway, that was a long winded way of asking: do you have a child already in school that has a lot of "Connor"s in class? Do you have a lot of friends naming their boys Connor? How often do you see the name Connor on a little boy?
Personally, I don't know any little boys named Connor, so maybe it's not not popular where I live (Northeast US).

Any input is very much appreciated!! Thanks!! :flower:

I really like the name. I have only ever met one Connor -- a boy I went to school with myself. But perhaps it is much more common now, though I still haven't met any others (young or old).

I work with elementary school aged kids, and although there is a handful named Connor, I dont think Ive ever seen a grade with more than one of them. So its common enough to seem normal, but not so common that there are like 7 of them per class if that makes sense?

Thanks for everyones opinions so far ... especially Megloves; I feel like teachers see the best and worst names!

Brady has already been ruled out, but I appreciate any suggestions! My husband is firmly against most of the "Br" names (Brody, Braden, Brandon, etc.) ... if this child is nameless I think it will be my husband's fault! He's sooo picky! Sheesh.

Other names I'll throw out there:
Oscar -- I like the name and would nn "Oz" or "Ozzie", but hesitate b/c of Sesame St the grouch correlation. Thoughts?
Rory -- husband's no. 1 pick but I dunno ... it's not really doing it for me :shrug:

Didnt make the sesame street connection with Oscar, and I quite like the nickname Oz.
But tbh I think of Rory as more of a girls name, although I have seen it on boys if that makes sense.

For tradition English / Irish names what about :
Kenny
Patrick
Harry
Jack
John
Henry
Brendan
Aidan
Daniel

im not American but I have 1 friend with a son called Conner

the popular names at my sons school (where kids go by last initials or nicknames) are:

Lewis and Oliver (Ollie/Olly)

my son is Jake - Jacob is like #6 and Jake #23 in the ranks and we have never had a problem... in fact I only know 1 other kid called Jake and he is 3 years younger and lives in a different county so dont worry about top 100 its only the top few to worry about normally

My kids are in 2nd, 4th, and 5th, and they have had Connors in their class currently and in the past. I know they have a friend named Connor on the bus. It isn't as common as some names though. My daughter is Brookelyn (Brooke), and she has never had a kid in her class with her name. If you love it, use it!!

I'm also from US and I went to school with a Connor, and a HS friend has a boy named Connor and also a co-worker is pregnant with a boy that will be named Connor

I agree it's not so common that there would be many Connors in one class.

From my teaching experiences I don't think I've ever come across a Connor, actually.

Didnt make the sesame street connection with Oscar, and I quite like the nickname Oz.
But tbh I think of Rory as more of a girls name, although I have seen it on boys if that makes sense.

Rory is definitely a boys name unless someone is attempting to be 'out there' by giving it to a girl. I like Oscar and Rory they are both cute!

I have been on the kiddie scene for almost 2 years (so not very long lol) and haven't heard or met any Connors. I think it's lovely. We chose Jack for my first born and I worried he might be one of many many Jacks at school but so far we haven't actually met any others his age. Plus, once he's born and he's YOUR Connor you forget being bothered about how many others are around :) xx

I have to agree Rory is a boys name (and a common one passed down in my family)

I never even understood how Americans get Rory from Loralie? (which seems to be where it came from)

Aurora sort of makes sense with the nick name but that's all it is a nick name

I personally have never known, known of, or heard of anyone named Conner.

But, at the same time I'm not too sure what is going on in current trends for the name. But as a PP said if you love the name use it! My husband and I have decided that our first sons name is going to be named Alexander, even though it's a very common name. We both even know a couple of Alexanders ourselves. But, after a lot of research we can't find anything we like better.

But in the end, it's whatever you're most comfortable with.

I try not to worry about how many other people are using the name, I'd only reconsider if a close relative had been called the name I want to use. Infact my dad's, cousin's LO has the same name as my son (he's quite a lot older than my LO). Doesn't bother me.

The name Connor is lovely, but keep in mind the traditional Irish way to spell it is Conor, which i actually think is nicer.

My son's name Finlay is a good Celtic name. :) I know one toddler called Connor where I live in the UK but his mum is Scottish. Conor (all different spellings) is a name more popular with older children 8/9 and up here. How about Callum or Keir? I like Cillian, but oh wasn't convinced. Kieran (there's different spellings) is another C sound to consider.

I know both baby Rorys and Oscars and they're cute. Oscar is one of the most popular names for boys after Harry and Oliver where I live.

I've never met any Conner/connors .

What about Kian?

I like Connor but can't comment on how popular it is.

Rory is hands down my favourite boys name!

For other ideas, how about Ian/Iain or Kieran?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->