Names for Genitals???

NuKe

mummy to 2 gorgeous girls
Reaction score
Hi Ladies! I'm just interested in your opinions really. My friends recently had a baby boy and last time I was down they were referring to his penis as his "bird". And their other daughter calls her vagina her "mini". Now, is it just me or does nobody else want their kids to know the proper names for their body parts?? Peepee? Wee man? I just don't get this. It's not like you're teaching them a swear word- it's a body part!! Once my baby is born and starts talking etc they will know the right names. It's hardly inappropriate I think. Thoughts??

my friends kids call it winky and flower. i think thats ok, as its commonly used iykwim x

hehe... winky! cute!

My children call them willy and fandango. The fandango came about cos they couldnt say vagina (it is the v) and my friend had recently told me that was what she told her children they were called, I thought that was halirous but of course it meant I couldnt not think of anything else when they asked about it, they cant say fandango either so will wait a bit and tell them again (vagina rather than fandango :haha:).

willy .... and pinny !!! (not sure where he got pinny from tho??)

Altho he is a bit obsessed atm and is singing wee willy winky and gigggling all the time !!

The boys know the proper names but like in everyday talk they will say weenie or weiner, but they know it's actually a penis and a girls is a vagina, but they don't ever talk about girls since they are 3 boys haha

I always said the proper words, I think it's better that they know the right words and know not to mention them. I was raised like that and I'm raising Josh like that too. No weiner, no peepee, no hooha etc.

xx

i call alys' her foofy!, dont know why, just think sayin vagina to her would be wierd lol

x

I think we'll be doing "Willy" and "Fairy" like I was taught as a child. I think "Vagina" is more difficult for a child to say. :shrug:

I think Penis and Vagina sound a bit grown up for little ones, even I don't refer to mine as my Vagina. I taught Bethanie to call it a "moo", or a "moomi" and thats fine for now. If we had a little boy, it would probably just be "willy".

See I just dont understand that! If kids know the proper names for their bits, why would they not mention them? It's a body part!!! And how can the actual names be "grown up"??? My kids are gonna be raised with sex as an open topic, and they will be taught about it all when they are still young. Personally I think half the reason there are so many underage pregnancies in this country is because kids don't have a dialogue about sex with their parents. Really, its the most natural thing in the world and is thoroughly enjoyable! But most people make it a taboo with their kids, unintentionally on the most part I believe and its so sad! I can talk to my mum and dad about ANYTHING- that's what I want my kids to have! Kinda off topic but there you go!

As my little girl gets older, she will know the right names for them. I just don't think a 2 year old running around talking about her vagina is cute, do you then?? I have years to talk openly about her gender/sex with her but you're speaking as if id be causing her major problems because she doesn't give it it's 'correct' name. That is a matter of OPINION

Dec calls his his pee-pee like Dan used to, Dan totally understands that it is a penis and he knows vigina to, but I think a young child doesnt have the understanding for those words yet, like Dec always knew a dog as a woof-woof before he started to call it a dog. Iykwim lol

Evan's is called his "peepee" and if we have a girl this time i am thinking something along the lines of "foofy" or mine was called a "chacha" as a child hahaha

I don't think it makes any difference to their development to learn 'Willy' or 'Fairy/Flower' etc as youngsters, as long as you're still open and don't object to them knowing the correct terminology.

I don't think it makes any difference to their development to learn 'Willy' or 'Fairy/Flower' etc as youngsters, as long as you're still open and don't object to them knowing the correct terminology.

same. i never really really sat down and through "what should i refer to his penis as?" but i have found now if he is pulling at it or playing with it while i change his nappy, that i say to him " let go of your winky honey so i can do the nappy up" i dont think of the correct names being damaging or taboo at all thats just what comes out naturally when i mention it. of course he will know the actual names at sometime and i really dont mind when i dont thnk it is inappropriate for kids to know , i guess it depends on the way you talk yourself. i mean for example if you use the correct terms in day to day life ( uyourself i mean not fpor the sake of lo learning them) then it would be natural to call them it in day to day conversation with lo, personally if someone elbows me in the boob i would say for example "you got me in the boob" rather than "you got me in the breast" does that make sense.
while growing up my parents used the names miffy and willy ( i can talk to my mum about it all aswell) , but it wasnt like i didnt know the real names that was just a name for them, just like my abdomen was refered to as my belly or tummy...... thinking about it if i were to go to dr with a gyne problem i would explain using vagina, ( maybe because of a more formal setting)
anyway i have rambled... but i think whatever comes naturally is fine as long as you are open about the body and sex and stuff when they ask , nicknames for body parts wont hurt, imo

joel calls his his 'tail' lol
i dont mind, id personally rather him say that than penis. Just my views but each to there own :)

Hmmm, after knowing the amount of abused children whose family had no idea they were being abused because of 'cute' names assigned to their body parts..... makes me want to be more open about body parts. For example: Mum asks "where have you been little Jane?".... "upstairs, so-and-so put his pencil in my pencil case......!!!" All very innocent sounding but you can imagine the horrid reality.

So our names will be clear, but probably wont use penis and vagina in an everyday way.

My two boys just call it their Tail. Very original lol :)

As my little girl gets older, she will know the right names for them. I just don't think a 2 year old running around talking about her vagina is cute, do you then?? I have years to talk openly about her gender/sex with her but you're speaking as if id be causing her major problems because she doesn't give it it's 'correct' name. That is a matter of OPINION

Ok first of all, I wouldn't let my child "run round" talking about her genitals, whatever she called them. I wasn't referring specifically to you Tilly, and you are right- it is a matter of opinion, so I'd appreciate it if I wasn't snapped at for expressing mine. I'm sorry if I upset you, it wasn't my intention to do so. It's something I feel very strongly about, considering my upbringing. I'm certainly not telling you you are wrong- I'm just expressing my opinion. :flower:

I was brought up not knowing I had a vagina! As far as I knew, I had a place where wee came out and a place where 'jobbies' came out. I still remember hearing the word "rape" on the news when I was about 8 and asking my mum what it meant. She told me it was when someone hurt someone else "down there" so my pre-pubescent mind thought it meant getting stabbed or something. Even after I had the sex talk with my mum, I still thought rape meant getting stabbed in the vagina until I was like 12 and I was "corrected" by my classmates. I just want my kids to know about sex from an early age so its not a big taboo or something they will be embarrassed talking about.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->