Names for Genitals???

I will be teaching Joseph penis and vagina along with bum and breasts as he gets older. I have no idea why bum rather than anus or whatever, I suppose I'm going to have to include that know and it always makes me laugh (it's that stupid joke about aliens living in Uranus).

As general slang in our house penis and vagina tend to both get called 'bits' as well so he'll probably learn that alongside the proper names.

I honestly don't see what's wrong with teaching the proper names at a young age though. They are not dirty words or swearing and are better than some of the things I have heard very young kids shouting out or saying in conversation.

I think when we were younger my brother had a willy and I had a tuppence and I didn't hear penis or vagina until I was about seven, when my cousin asked me if I knew what they were. I was really shocked and thought she was swearing. I don't want Joseph to feel the same so I want him to know the proper words no matter what he calls them in day to day conversation.

My other odd worry is that he will get picked on at school for either using a word too babyish or too clinical if he actually says penis and vagina.

The bit about 'fairies' made me smile though, I don't know what I would say if I had to explain the difference between the tooth fairy and mummy's fairy and that's the first think it made me think of.

I call Amelia's her fluby (i grew up saying flu) and a boys a willy. As she gets older i will tell her the 'proper' names for it. I do believe that sex should be an open topic and as soon as Amelia starts asking question i will tell her the truth (obv the amount of detail i tell her will depend on the age in which she asks) But i don't believe it will cause ANY sort of problems for a child to call her Vagina a fairy/fluff/mini etc until she is a bit older. I mean you would ask your child to call his 'wee' urine or his 'poo' faeces would you? x

i was brought up with "willy" and "fairy" no idea why but i carried it on with sophie, i have no problem with her knowing the proper terms but it would sound odd to me if she was saying vagina. maybe its all to do with innocence or something

Jack call his willy, and i say willy or todger!

Dont know what id say for a girl. Prob mini, or something like that.

I think young children dont need to use grown up terminology. I dont think i did, but i still learnt it somehow along the way!

guilty of slang. "peanuts" and "punnies" ... should start with proper words...

My 4 year old refers to them as Winky and Minnie Woo!!:haha:. I was brought up to them being refrred to as willy and chicken!! WTF, and my mum wondered why I didnt eat chicken for the first 6 years of my life!! lol.xx

my friends kids call it winky and flower. i think thats ok, as its commonly used iykwim x

Snap! Thats what I was used to them being called when I was younger.Good choice too imo x

I use "flower" and "willy woo" with my 2 as they get older they will be learnt the correct names.

Joe says deedee for his bits and we call Katies lulu (sorry any lulu's out there :lol: )

I have no problem whatsoever with telling my son, starting from the very youngest age when he asked what ''that'' is, the proper name for it. I don't think it has anything whatsoever to do with ''innocence'', whether or not they say the proper names or use nicknames nor do I think it's improper for them to use ''adult terminology''. It's more what -we-, as the adults, like to hear our children saying. I really prefer my son to know the proper name and then if we picks up the nicknames off his little friends, that's fine too. I just think he should know the proper name first. To each their own! :)

I have no problem whatsoever with telling my son, starting from the very youngest age when he asked what ''that'' is, the proper name for it. I don't think it has anything whatsoever to do with ''innocence'', whether or not they say the proper names or use nicknames nor do I think it's improper for them to use ''adult terminology''. It's more what -we-, as the adults, like to hear our children saying. I really prefer my son to know the proper name and then if we picks up the nicknames off his little friends, that's fine too. I just think he should know the proper name first. To each their own! :)

I agree with your comment about innocence, knowing the words penis and vagina won't make them suddenly aware about sex or spoil their innocence. I don't want Joseph to be shy about his body or think that there is anything dirty about it and there's something about deliberately teaching him the wrong word before teaching him the right one that I just don't want to do.

It's usual, because the parents are embarrassed, cause talking about sexuality it's difficult talk to their children

I agree, we don't make up nicknames for nose, ears, hand, foot... so I have been trying to say vagina or the real term vulva to Helena, but I am guilty of saying peepee once in awhile :lol:

I was always told the correct names for things, it never made me any less innocent! In fact I was far more naive and innocent than most of my firiends. Even though I knew the 'proper' names, kids at school used to use all sorts of names for their bits, so I just sort of joined in with that, all the while knowing what they are really called.

I think it's best to teach the real names, kids will call them what they want anyway.

i call then winky aand mary for a girl my nan used to call it that lol and its stuck

We use flower/beanie and winky/winkle in our house. Even my OH and i use it for each other's parts lmao!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->