Names for Genitals???

I will be using the proper names with my children. How are they going to know that it's ok to talk about them if you cannot even use the real name around them? There is nothing to be ashamed of.

I left this decision up to DH and he came up with dinkie and foofoo.

Seriously, you leave anything up to a boy....

When I was little I called girl bits a mini but this gave me a real issue with Minnie Mouse!!!

And frankly I would like my kids to retain their innocence for as long as possible. Once they know about sex and whathaveyou they lose a certain childlike quality. Yes I want them to be fully informed and when they are old enough I will sit them down and tell them but I see no reason for telling them now. Also DH and I don't refer to them as a penis or vagina (wouldn't that be sexy at bedtime!! pmsl) so I don't see why Harry should. Also the correct terms to me sound medical and adult - they make them sound like sexual organs. My son is nearly three. His dinkie is something he pees out of. Right now it is not a sexual organ - not until puberty when, whether i like it or not, he's going to discover that for himself!!!

Also, I noticed you are very concerned about calling a penis a willy but you refer to poo as 'jobbies' - should you not be calling it faecal matter? Seems a bit daft to me.

ME & my son call his a winky, We don't have girls so i don't know what id call it tbh.
It really has no relevance what you call a childs private parts as to whether they come to talk to you about it if need be, Its about telling you child they should come to you & talk to you whenever they need to about ANYTHING whether its called a winky, a dinky a peepee or penis. The name does NOT matter.
Just because your child may know " penis " how does that mean he will come to you to tell you if something is wrong?? It wont, its how you instill in him to come talk to mummy or daddy. I don't care what my son calls his bits as long as he comes to me when he has too, As i'm sure that will go for alot of mums/dads.

Personally a child saying winky is much better at that age than penis! Of course you tell your child how you like, but saying you think that half of teenage pregnancies is because they werent told it was a vagina or a penis?? So that's like saying some of here may end up with a teen pregnancy because we called our childs parts a flower/winky. A little ott imo x

I knew that was going to be taken the wrong way! I certainly was not saying that! And if anyone thinks I was, I apologise. I should have worded it better. I did get off-topic, all I meant was that imo not having an open and frank dialogue with your kids about sex etc can maybe lead to early pregnancy. And dragon, I don't call it 'jobbies', I did when I was a little kid, that's all I meant. It's hardly daft. And I don't tend to talk about my 'faecal matter', not the best topic of conversation lol!

You are all entitled to your opinions, as am I!

I knew that was going to be taken the wrong way! I certainly was not saying that! And if anyone thinks I was, I apologise. I should have worded it better. I did get off-topic, all I meant was that imo not having an open and frank dialogue with your kids about sex etc can maybe lead to early pregnancy. And dragon, I don't call it 'jobbies', I did when I was a little kid, that's all I meant. It's hardly daft. And I don't tend to talk about my 'faecal matter', not the best topic of conversation lol!

You are all entitled to your opinions, as am I!

pmsl - I think most people would agree on the latter point though :rofl:

I think i got told the right names at an early names though I must say that German language has German terms for parts , unlike English where the English names are mostly colloquial names and otherwise only Latin is used.

we call our little boy's a willy or winky. We are unsure how to refer to his testicles though as when he can talk it will be a hard word to say. We will need him to be able to though incase there is a problem with them.

I haven't even though about it... right now I refer to vaginae as "lady parts" and penii as "junk" which probably won't work out well once my kids are out! lol Good lord! My kids will know the proper terms so they don't end up embarrassed in school or something not knowing what it means, but frankly I think it sounds a bit strange to talk about one's penis or vagina. Just don't hear it often, I guess. Maybe something clever will just spring to mind when I'm confronted with a situation where I need a euphemism? lol I hope so!

We say Charlie has a willy or widgey. When my brother was younger he used to call them his 'jewels!' Lol x

I say to Hallie, Mini or Moo.
I think it would be a bit crude for say to be out in public and my daughter say ' I have a pain in my Vagina' or something along those lines.

When she is near school age I will tell her Penis and Vagina, but also let it be known that Mini and Moo are pet names if you like and she can still her mini what she pleases.

To me, I only use the word vagina if I am talking to a health professional!

i use "bits" for her vagina and "bobs" for her bum, like in the shower i say right then wash bits and bobs, think she is too young to know the "correct" terminology for them and like someone said, i want my child to retain her innocence as long as possible, dont hink it hinders her in any way to come and talk to me openly about anything in the future x

we use willy and rudie, dont know where the rudie came from tho.

when i was little it was tail and fuff lol, i call leyla's her fuff, it just sounds too grown up to be calling it a vagina, babies dont have vaginas lol, they are too innocent hehe

x

I found this thread whilst having a nose around, when I was little it was my 'weewee' (not sure why) and my sister called hers her 'doughnut'!

Whilst I agree that children need to learn their body parts it's somewhat different for girls, the words are just too long and vulgar sounding imo (no pun intended!)

, babies dont have vaginas lol, they are too innocent hehe

Well they do, but they aren't aware of them, the only body part they are probably aware of is their vulva/labia and quite frankly I don't fancy having to explain that to a child.

Even as an adult, my friends and I refer to 'Wilkins' and Mimsy. I think a colloquial phrase for the general area od female anatomy is much easier on the ears.

I think I'll teach mine the same as I was. A Fairy for a girl and a Winky for a boy.
I don't think it makes a differance what you call it.
They'll know the correct name when they're old enough.

Just adding somebody mentioned they didn't have yet a name for testicles, I call my sons his winky & his winky bits.
He knows full well which bit is which & if he hurts 1 or the other what name to say to tell me, He also knows he can tell me or show me if he needs to or wants too.

Just yesterday i nipped his winky by accident pulling up his jeans, He had no problem telling me where or what hurt, This to me is more important the fact he actually can tell me & i understand him.

My son calls his a Winky.

My neice calls her a Front Bum.

It is a personal choice for everybody. We dont refer to my husbands as a penis. We call it his Mr Man. I was brought up in a house where we NEVER talked about anything like this. So it is kind of hard to break that mold. I plan on being open with my children about sex/anatomy.

My friends little boy used to call his his 'dangler' :rofl:. My LO calls his his winky, although I don't really have a name for mine so am taking some ideas from this for questions, lol. I agree with Dizzymoo, it doesn't matter what they are called as long as the child knows they can talk about anything you and that nothing is taboo subject.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->