Nap routine?

MEPride

Reaction score
My DD sleeps decently at night. I can usually put her down after her last nursing session where she sleeps in her bassinet for 3-4 hour stretches. She is 8 weeks.

But naps during the day are hard. She won't nap unless in our arms or a carrier or a car seat. Otherwise she wakes within 5-10 min crying to be held. Granted, I also have not had her nap in her bassinet or crib. It's always been in her pack and play newborn napper. She used to nap in her swing but doesn't much (if at all) anymore.

I go back to work in about 6 weeks and I wonder when I should start trying to get her to nap by herself? I've heard so many different things.... and how would you go about getting her to nap independently?

Who will be doing your childcare for your when you go back to work and have you talked with them about how they'll get her to nap, where, etc.? I probably would just carry on as you are and get her to sleep any way you can for now if you're happy to do that. Naps will be challenging in a new setting and with someone who isn't you anyway, so I don't think anything you do now is going to make it magically easier in a childcare environment. So I would make it easy on yourself and enjoy the snuggles now and deal with it in a few weeks when you need to.

Mine never slept anywhere but on me, in a wrap, in the car or pushchair until she started in a nursery setting at 9 months. They figured out what worked for them and her on their own. Initially, someone would literally just sit and hold her to sleep and she'd sleep on their chest. Then they found ways of swaddling her in a blanket and rocking her to sleep in a cot. Or they took her out in a stroller in the garden while the older kids played and pushed her around until she slept if they weren't going to be inside at naptime. Most professionals have their tricks and techniques and will figure it out when the time comes, so I wouldn't stress about it now. I don't think there is much you can do that will make that transition easier and it will be disruptive to an extent, but I'd just do what works better now. You may find nap times just get easier on their own in a few months time.

Who will be doing your childcare for your when you go back to work and have you talked with them about how they'll get her to nap, where, etc.? I probably would just carry on as you are and get her to sleep any way you can for now if you're happy to do that. Naps will be challenging in a new setting and with someone who isn't you anyway, so I don't think anything you do now is going to make it magically easier in a childcare environment. So I would make it easy on yourself and enjoy the snuggles now and deal with it in a few weeks when you need to.

Mine never slept anywhere but on me, in a wrap, in the car or pushchair until she started in a nursery setting at 9 months. They figured out what worked for them and her on their own. Initially, someone would literally just sit and hold her to sleep and she'd sleep on their chest. Then they found ways of swaddling her in a blanket and rocking her to sleep in a cot. Or they took her out in a stroller in the garden while the older kids played and pushed her around until she slept if they weren't going to be inside at naptime. Most professionals have their tricks and techniques and will figure it out when the time comes, so I wouldn't stress about it now. I don't think there is much you can do that will make that transition easier and it will be disruptive to an extent, but I'd just do what works better now. You may find nap times just get easier on their own in a few months time.

Initially it will be my mother taking care of her. Eventually she will go to a daycare for a day or two a week. We've spent enough time at my parents already that we can theoretically establish some routines at some point. She has a bassinet, a swing, and a pack and play at their house. We have all 3 at our house too. I guess I am wondering if it's just too early to start a nap routine with her or if I should wait another month or so?

When DD was very young I just used to carry her moses basket to whatever room we were in and she slept in that. I can't remember having a particular routine time wise but she would fall asleep a certain amount of time after milk. As she got bigger she lost the ability to sleep anywhere at anytime and now has to go in a cot/travel cot, she also stopped sleeping in seats (except her car seat but that is one which stays in the car). She will also eventually fall asleep in a flat pushchair if we're out at nap time. Maybe it would be worth a try putting her down to nap in the same environment as bed time

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->