Nappy help!

Scally

Reaction score
I am thinking of using reusable nappies with Izzy now as the pampers we are using are causing rashes and dry skin where they have contact with her back and legs where they are so rough!
Where to start? I have no idea about nappies- where to get them from? what the sizing is like? what i would need to get, how to wash, whether its too late to change?
Any help would be appreciated, thank u x

i'll rephrase that- just looked at a getting started help with cloth nappies- and thats even more confusing!!! Which ones would u recommend?

Its never too late to change :)
Where you start mostly depends on your facilities and preferences. If you want all-in-one type nappies with built in waterproof layer or if you would prefer two part systems where the nappy and wrap are separate. Drying time can also factor if you dont have a tumble drier (no problem in summer but can be an issue in winter when nappies cant be hung out to dry)
There are dozens of online shops to buy from (ok...hundreds!) so its an idea to make yourself a list of things you need, eg quick drying, one size (will last from birth to potty training), built in waterproof layer and then choosing several brands of nappy you like the look of and trying them out. I would not recommend buying a big pack of one type of nappy at first as you can find you dont like them or they dont suit baby which can be a real pain!
Washing is VERY simple. I put any used nappies in a box with a clip on lid until I have a loads worth then put them in the wash at 60 degrees with 1/4 the amount of detergent...sparkly :)

LOL ok if you were looking to get a few different types to trial and see what suits you this is what I would suggest you look at getting

A Bumgenius Flip
A Bumgenius Version 3
A Bumgenius AIO Organic
A Tots Bots Bamboozle Stretchie (needs a wrap)
An Itti Bitti D'lish
A Swaddlebees
A Pop-In
A Fuzzi Bunz
A motherease Riki wrap (to use with the TB stretchie)

The majority of those can be bought in OneSize (birth to potty type) the one that cant is the Itti.
You can usually find most of these nappies preloved for less than new which I would recommend you try doing as it reduces your outlay significantly and if you dont get on with them you can resell without loosing money.
Once you figure out what sort of nappies you like there are lots of fun patterns and types you can get, they may be a bit confusing now but its fun to look anyway at whats possible (look at www.weenotions.co.uk for example)

i'll rephrase that- just looked at a getting started help with cloth nappies- and thats even more confusing!!! Which ones would u recommend?

Sorry you found it confusing, it is designed to be an overview and give you an idea of what is out there and what it all means.

it would be wrong for it to point you in a specific direction as everyone has different preferences as what i love, i know squish hates.

it's important you find what works for you. there are links in the article which gives you examples of the nappies, find one/two or even three which take your fancy and give them a whirl.

littlestar- thank u for the link- dont think its that confusing- i think i was a bit naive when i first started looking thinking there was only a couple of sorts!!!! lol. The link was great, and your nappy FAQ was a big help too! I just didnt realise, wish i had started cloth nappies straight away when she was born!

anothersquish- thank you for the info, think i am going to spend the day going through all the info on the net, and looking at the sorts u recommended, thank u!

I had exactly the same problem - i went to kiddicare an saw real nappies in the flesh. was absolutely certain on the type i liked; to absolutely hating them - luckily i didn't buy them new from there, i went online and found cloth communities like this one and learnt as much as i could - i ended up with 14 different types of nappy before Q arrived. Now i've tried and tested i know what i like.

it's hard not to recommend/favour specific types when people ask, because i know from experience that what works for one person/baby doesn't necessarily mean they will work for another - all the nappies have different fits, absorption, fastenings etc.

I was the same! I mean for example everyone recommended BG V 3s but we really dont get on with them AT ALL (I seem to be in the minority though!) I still say they are worth a go though because they can be bought preloved and so many people like them!
Lots of people also like tots bots bamboozles (the normal ones) and I couldnt stand them but I LOVE the tots bots stretchies but some people wont use them because they need a wrap and are plain. I also prefer popper nappies whereas some people prefer aplix (velcro) nappies. I like bamboo and hemp, others like mircofibre or cotton...!!!!!
It really is a case of having a look at loads of types and picking a few YOU like the look of that YOU think will suit...dont get anything if you dont like the look of it right now you need nappies you are going to feel happy with.

Yes it can be quite hard to figure out at first but once you've seen a few you'll soon have a good grasp. As others have said it's always good to pick and mix a few different types so then you know what works for you and your baby. I think the others have said the majority so won't repeat but If you have any more specific qus feel free to ask away!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->