Nappy Preservation!

enola

Brand new baby-led mummy
Reaction score
So, I thought I would ask some of you experienced cloth using ladies all about how you keep your lovely nappies looking so shiny and new :flower:
(This title conjures images to mind of pickling nappies in jars!!! :haha:)

I've bought some absolutely beautiful preloved nappies, and have stuck to poppers save for a couple. My intention is that they'll be used for several children down the line (hopefully!) and I wondered what your experiences were of this, or of keeping nappies pristine for reselling etc.

I'd be so interested to hear what you've found works well and what doesn't, any brands/fabrics which stand the test of time, and I really hope it helps some other ladies here too who are venturing into the beautiful (read: addictive!) world of cloth :flower:

Thank you so much in advance! :)

I'm replying so I can track this thread as I'm interested in replies too - thanks!

I'm not sure and don't think I'm the best to give advice as I dyed half mine pink :rofl: but would like to know. Although someone did mention a debobbler for keeping fleece bobble free x

um i dunno really i spose it depends on your washing techniques, whether you wash nappies on their own or with other clothes etc..

i think my ittis stood the test of time, (aimee had explosive poos) i washed them at 60 with bold, and every now and then with a bit of napisan, they didnt seem to bobble to much but i heard someone say they shaved theirs lol never tried it meself.
i dry them on airer things over the radiators, or on the line if its dry and pop them in the drier low heat for 10 mins to soften them up if they go a bit hard.

i think with the ittis i wouldnt have resold them had the inners greyed too much (i bought a preloved one and the snap ins were nearly black~~ very unimpressed) i think that happens when they get put in with something they shouldnt, but i dunno.

my bedbugs/wnnn i wash the same but i put them in the drier (rather than on radiator airer thing) on a low heat to keep them soft, or i line dry and put them in the drier for 10 mins to soften them up

i wouldnt put them in the drier with anything else as theyd likely attract other bits of fluff and bobble

every 2 weeks i do a strip wash too, wash normally then keep them on a rinse cycle until theres no more bubbles, this stops them clogging with soap
also i do a machine maintanence wash, 90 degree wash with nothing in, no clothes, nappys or soap just to clear the machine of any poo or soap blockages

For pocket nappies or wraps that have PUL in them, I've learned not to tumble dry them... I accidentally left two white pop-in outers in on a high heat dry and they melted and the inside bit all stuck together :dohh: In my defence, I did try to take all the outers out of the machine before drying but I didn't spot those two cos they were white! Since then, I've stopped tumble drying any outers just in case. They only take half an hour to air dry anyway so they're done by the time the inserts/prefolds are done. Better safe than sorry!

I've found that Leyla's poo really stains Flip inserts, so I've been wet pailing them with a spoon full of Napisan to keep them bright white (just water didn't work for us) but I never soak the outers cos I don't think the PUL likes it much.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->