Naproxen makes it more difficult ttc. Why?

iiTTCii

Mummy of two
Reaction score
I had my implant removed a couple of months ago and I'm tracking my cycles in hope to start ttc towards the end of the year. I was prescribed naproxen yesterday as I've been having back spasms. I've just read the information leaflet and its says that it can make getting pregnant more difficult. Why is this? Is this more short term or can it cause longer term problems?

I am not sure why it would make it harder to TTC but when I was at the pharmacy one day (picking up a prescription from the hospital cause I hurt my back) I asked her if you can take this while pregnant (I thought I was back then as I was 6 days late and hadn't had a chance to test cause I was way to busy with work and exhausted) and she said No, you cannot take any type of anti-inflammatory because if you are pregnant it will cause you to lose the baby

I took naproxen once for migraine without knowing about the effect on ovulation and it delayed my ovulation for about 5 days. Here's what I found about it:

Evidence is accumulating that non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) taken in the middle of the menstrual cycle may inhibit ovulation. It has been suggested that the NSAID prevents rupture of the ovarian follicle which has developed normally.*

NSAIDs are also blood thinners, which can wreak havoc on developing eggs. The bottom line is, it's safe to take it while AF is in town, but avoid it during the rest of your cycle while TTC.

Oh no - I am in tww and took ibrubrofin today. Can it mess with implantation too???

Oh no - I am in tww and took ibrubrofin today. Can it mess with implantation too???

Yes, nothing but tylenol is safe while actively trying to conceive. Don't worry about it too much, as one dose isn't that likely to hurt; just keep it in mind for future reference.

Thanks Europa - I have a chronic pain condition and any otcs seem so mild compared to the prescription stuff I am currently avoiding. Just wasn't thinking.

Don't know why I bothered really - it's like trying to put out a 4-alarm fire with squirt guns. Since they didn't help at all it will be easy enough to avoid them going forward.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AngelMom1012
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->