Nasty Ofsted!

claireyfairy

Mum to 1 pregnant with#2
Reaction score
Oh my god! We got the call today. Ofsted are coming to our primary school on Monday and Tuesday next week.

My last sodding week before my maternity leave starts and just before Xmas!!

Really could do without the stress-was just winding down thinking that they would not come this term!

That is properly harsh! The week before Christmas - talk about a group of Scrooges!

I'm sure all will be fine - make sure your safeguarding is up to scratch (ie no unexplained adults wandering around the site, CP procedures clear etc). as they're hot on that at the mo.

Good luck. It'll soon be over and you can relax x

No luck!

I am a high school teacher and our school is due and inspection within the next year so hopefully HMI will visit while I am off on maternity!!

Oh god, they are utter b******s. Make sure as much is in place as you can, displays are done, marking etc, don't worry if they come into your class, your health is more important.

Oh no how awful! OFSTED are the source of all evil as far as I am concerned. Yes, their big new thing is safeguarding. I got this email about it from the NUT the other day:
Ofsted's decision to 'raise the bar' in its new Inspection Framework, introduced in September, is causing anger and fear among teachers. The NUT has received a number of reports that inspectors are using trivial issues to downgrade schools.

NUT General Secretary Christine Blower has written to both Christine Gilbert, the Chief Inspector, and Ed Balls expressing her extreme concern about this situation.

The new framework contains 'limiting judgments' on pupil attainment, safeguarding, and equality of achievement, which means that if schools receive a low judgment in one of these areas the overall judgment cannot be better. An arbitrary limiting judgment based on a trivial issue, therefore, can lead to a school being deemed to have failed.

Examples the Union has received include:

schools being marked down for failing to record centrally employed staff on the single central register;
the Lead Inspector, on entering a school on the first day, marking down the school because the head has not immediately asked for their Criminal Records Bureau (CRB) check;
inspectors paying little attention to Contextual Value Added (CVA) data and just concentrating on raw results; and
a first school being marked down because of the low height of its perimeter fence.
The NUT is determined that this situation should not continue. It urges all members who have experienced unfair inspections to e-mail their experiences to [email protected]. All examples will be anonymised, unless you indicate otherwise.

Christine Blower says,

"For nearly two decades teachers have had to endure an essentially punitive inspection system. The new Inspection Framework has made the life of schools even worse. The NUT is determined to change school inspection into a system which supports not punishes schools. Our campaign can achieve this change. I urge every member to send their experiences of inspection into the Union so that we can change the minds of Government and Ofsted."

It really is too much to have them come in the last week before you go on leave. Poor you!

Sorry, that last email wasn't meant to scare you, just to point out how riduculous the whole system is, in case anyone was in any doubt!

Poor you! We had a staff meeting about the new framework and it gave me nightmares! We had one 2 years ago, so hope they'll hold off til at least Feb half-term when I'm on mat leave. Can't believe they'd come in the week before Christmas holidays. Good luck and try not to worry too much xxx

We've been expecting ours since Sept and ive joked ever since it'l be the last week before xmas - but so far we havnt heard anything, so its looking like it will be in the new year when im on maternity leave! thank god! (im only a teaching assistant and im stressed about it - dont know how you teachers cope!!)

Oh how sh**ty for you. Good luck x I went on maternity last week and am hoping they visit us whilst I'm off on leave. Hope you're ok. What a seriously crappy week to visit. chin up x

Boo that is crap. I hate Ofsted with a passion. I hope everything goes well and you can get as much done as you can this week hun before they come. Try not to get too stressed about it, just make sure you are well prepared and you will be fine.

The head at the school I worked at as an NQT was an ofsted inspector and we had to teach every single lesson and the school was run as though we were being ofstedded all the time! Suffice to say I moved at the end of my NQT year!

You will be fine! Just hope that they're nice inspectors, if that is at all possible?! who will feel guilty about making a pregnant lady stressed so close to Christmas and promise the kids loads of choc and a big xmas party if they're nice to the 'special visitors'!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->