"Natal Hypnotherapy" and "Hypnobirthing"

ika

Reaction score
Hiya,

I've done a Marie Mongan Hypnobirthing course and am practising the methods. I've recently become aware of Natal Hypnotherapy by Maggie Howell. Is one more effective than the other? Can you do both or should you just stick to one?

Thanks,

Ika xxx 50days to go!! eeeeeeeeek!! :happydance:

I did Natal Hypnotherapy but I had read the Mongon method book first. There are similarities and differences. For me, the UK voice made a big difference and the flexibility in the CDS I could use to back up the course were great. If the hypnobirthing approach is working for you it might be easiest to continue with it as your main focus but it would do you no harm to listen to one of the NH CDs if it takes your fancy and look into it too. It's all about getting you into a good space for birthing. Can you really get too much of that?

As for effectiveness, I think the NH stats are better that the HB ones for the courses (15% c/s rate for HB course attendees and 9% c/s rate for NH course attendees - see www.natalhypnotherapy.co.uk). I don't know of any other studies/research into comparing the two so there's not a lot to go on stat wise.

Ultimately, if it works for you, just go for it. :)

Gina.

i have read the mongon method book and i have the home birth N.t cd and i much prefer the N.t x

mi midwife, who has lots of experience assisting natural births, told me that she prefers Natal Hypnotherapy to Hypnobirthing because she finds HB a bit 'too' effective. she says with NH the mother is more aware of what's going on.
So if you're looking to feel 'knocked out' (as I will) then maybe HB is better..??

i am currently using the NH CD and reading the book and i must say, i love it. i was all for hypnobirthing until i found out about NH and read reviews which said hypnobirthing is american so uses different terms than we do in england, so NH can be more effective because the trigger words are the same. x

I've used both along with a UK version from the website tums2mums. I think the more tactics you practice with as much variation the better and if you can personalise it, it will have more meaning for you. I actively do the Marie Mongon methods but also listen to the NH mp3s at times since they are well designed, particularly the music on them. Some of the Mongon stuff if rather amercanised and her voice is irritating, she waffles a little too much for me too. I've also got a cd of sea sounds with no music to listen to during labour, it helps me visualise the surges and getting through them. Do whatever feels to eb working for you, there's no on size fits all approach.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->