Natural birth in hospital w/ no midwife

GrowingMum

Reaction score
Hello ladies! I'm popping over from first tri. I just found out that my insurance company considers midwives out of network. So it looks like I'll be seeing one of the doctors instead. I don't understand because I always see a midwife for my yearly exam and pap and insurance covers it as in-network.

I'm pretty upset because I felt comfortable that she would stand up for me in the hospital. I haven't met any of the docs yet and don't know if any of them will be as amiable to a natural birth as my midwife is.

I've thought of getting a doula but we really don't have the money for one.

This is my 2nd baby. With my first I had a hospital birth with a wonderful midwife in a different state.

Does anyone have a positive natural birth experience in a hospital with a doctor, not a midwife?

Any advice for me on how to proceed with my birthplan, choosing one of the docs, etc? Two of the docs are D.O.s and the rest are M.D.s. One of the M.D.s is a woman.

I'd really appreciate advice from anyone who has been through something similar.

Hi! We had the same thing happen to us, midwives out of network :( First we saw one doctor and outright told him that I would tolerate nothing less than every effort to go natural and anyone who came near me with a needle would get a foot in their mouth. He was very honest and told us he likes drugs and induction so he refered us to another doctor and she's been TOTALLY on board with the natural birth. She suggested a hospital that is very pro natural and has birth bars, water tanks etc and has a very low C-section rate so I think it'll all be ok :) I just suggest being firm

Set up interviews with the doctors! If your insurance and finances will allow it, this is the best thing. You are the doctor's employer, so you should get to interview them.

That being said it is possible to have a natural birth in a hospital. My best advice is to appoint somebody you trust to be your advocate, for me it was DH. The hospital absolutely cannot legally do anything invasive without your informed consent, but they will try to persuade you. I was open with my doctor about my preferences regarding epidurals, drugs, forceps etc. and she was very understanding thankfully. That didn't stop the nurse from asking if I was really sure I didn't want that epidural at least 10 times, and there were times that I really did want it too!

Thanks so much for your responses. My biggest concern is knowing whether what the hospital/doc tells me or reccomends is actually necessary, or if its just something they say to scare me into complying.

But, I had my first appointment today and it looks like there might be a way to get around the whole insurance issue and see the midwives anyway. So my fingers are crossed.

When it comes to a doula - I'm not sure how common this is, but I found one that is in training and still needs her birth experience, and she's going to be my doula for $50. Much more affordable than the $600 doulas we have around here. Just a suggestion. :)

When it comes to a doula - I'm not sure how common this is, but I found one that is in training and still needs her birth experience, and she's going to be my doula for $50. Much more affordable than the $600 doulas we have around here. Just a suggestion. :)

Thats an idea. Thanks, I'll look into it.

We are facing the same thing, CNMs are out-of-network and pretty rare in this area as well. On top of the natural labor, I am wanting to use Hypnobabies which is pretty unheard of here (thank you Deep South:wacko:). I am actually switching to a new doctor because my first appointment with my previous doctor left me with the impression that she really likes to "run the show" and I don't know if that would be a good match for my birthing goals. My best suggestion is to do as much research as you can on birthing and everything associated with it:) For me, the more I learn the more confident I am that I can voice any concerns I have, and more importantly be able to have an informed conversation with any medical personnel involving options and/or suggestions. Good luck hun!

If you can't afford a doula, do you know any other women who have given birth naturally who can be there and stand up for you when it starts getting hard?

Well, not really. None close enough friends to ask them to be in the delivery room with me. Maybe my mom but she lives out of state.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Peanut2024
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->