"Natural" C-sections & also about doulas

Discussion in 'Home & Natural Birthing' started by aliss, Mar 31, 2011.

1. aliss

aliss Well-Known Member

I've been reading a bit about making C-sections as "natural" as possible (ie. as less clinical as possible). Any more info about this? Books? I've got Ina May's books and wondering about a few others?

Also, did anyone use or plan to use a doula? I will be getting one next time and just looking to talk/share experiences.

2. Mervs Mum

Mervs Mum Doula & Mum of 3!

3. aliss

aliss Well-Known Member

Thank you very much!! :)

4. ljo1984

ljo1984 2DDs,2angels <3

Wow what a fantastic video!! C sections always seem so clinical when you see them on tv but that was brilliant and just goes to show how different it and and should be!! Xx

5. pimento1979

pimento1979 Well-Known Member

I had a doula :) , not a c-section though

6. aliss

aliss Well-Known Member

I assume from your button that it went well :) How was it with a doula?

7. Mervs Mum

Mervs Mum Doula & Mum of 3!

Anababe on the homebirthers and hopefuls thread had a doula too. :D

8. pimento1979

pimento1979 Well-Known Member

My doula was fab! I wrote a referral on her behalf to someone whose husband wasn't sure how he felt about having a doula and this is what I wrote. I'd otherwise refer you to my birth story but it doesn't really capture everything she did for us.

9. aliss

aliss Well-Known Member

Thank you so much for sharing, it's very inspiring. My OH is supportive of a doula and I will show him this too

10. Jenniflower

Jenniflower Well-Known Member

That video just had me bawling my eyes out. Sometimes just when I think I'm over my experience something like this drags me back in. But in a good way, in a way that now I see I can make things better than last time, even if that means not having the natural home birth I wanted.

A few things I wanted to add about having a "Natural" c-section is to get your husband to have one a top that opens in the front as well for when the baby is passed to him he can keep that skin to skin contact for the baby. When I was going in for my section, even though I was doped up on God knows what I kept saying skin to skin. I wasn't able to have it at all given my circumstances so they made Hubby change his top into a hospital gown, only he put it on like a jacket iyswim.

Also, now I've been told this is rare, but Hubby actually got to cut the actual cord. Not just cut it down in size like in the video. But they actually allowed him to enter into the whole area and cut the cord from baby to placenta. He's still shocked by it because at the time he was told not to expect to be able to do it. As I was asking for that as well. But in the end they asked him if he would like to do it. People keep telling me how they've never heard of anyone getting that experience with a section but now my thoughts are if they let him do it once why not for next time? And as for other people I think you should be more vocal in asking for that as well. :thumbup:

I think I will 100% get a doula for next time (if there is one). Since I'll be having a c-section again, and because that's usually so medicalized I'll find a doula that is experienced in things like this video showed. She will be my voice when I'm just trying to concentrate on not having a panic attack. :)