Natural delivery at 34 +3

I think the hospital should at least try to find out why any preemie is born early! It will help to avoid these thoughts afterwards! Since it all happened so fast I was in and out of labour ward in like 5 hours! no time to take any tests, but who knows if they would have done if I realised my 'cramps' were really early contractions. Well at least next time I'll know what they are!!

Glad to know lo#2 might not be early as well!! but i'm going to avoid diet drinks none the less!! xx

Hello

?I've not read all of the replies to this thread but wanted to say hello and that you are in almost exactly the same situation as me (Although I had an emergency c section). Maddie was born at 34 +4 and weighed 5lb 8oz. I felt exactly the same because she was such a good weight that people seemed to forget she was prem (in fact strangers would look at me when I said what weight and gestation she was as if to say "she got her dates wrong"!)

We didn't get any follow on care from Transitional care at all (although they were great when we were there). WE were discharged to community midwifes and got more home visits than a full term baby but that was it. The only thing they told me was to stick to the 3 hourly feeding regime until she reached 37 weeks gestational age and then after that I was allowed to let her sleep longer between feeds.

I know it feels scary at the time, I was so paranoid about keeping her warm because she had trouble maintaining her temperature but it does get better. The only thing I noticed was that the first 4-6 weeks were relatively easy and predictable, as she just needed to be fed every 3 hours and slept most of the rest of the time. Then she woke up and boy did I get a shock! We then had to go through anohter 6 weeks of the newborn thing when they are constantly hungry and cluster feeding. That was the hardest part when I saw other new Mums starting to settle down after about 8 weeks and I had more like 12 weeks of the whole newborn thing so I was exhausted!

On the plus side, she has now settled down really well and is totally thriving, she is on the 99th centile corrected and still on the 92nd for her actual age! We started weaning at 20 weeks (Actual age) as she was so hungry. She now sleeps through for 10-12 hours most nights and is the most chilled out and happy baby.

I am in Nottingham so PM if you want to talk...

Hi Millnsy!! Thanks for posting and introducing yourself!! I know exactly what your talking about, especially with the temperature!! Dylan is 9 weeks old now and is off the charts on weight with his adjusted age as of tuesday and for a 9 week old he is just over 50%. I feel he's still sleeping a lot but he's starting to grin more and more that I know one of these days very soon will turn into a smile.

Its nice to know there are others out there that have gone through same thing to turn to if I need help or support!

xxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->