natural hospital birth UK

Wafflewaffle

Reaction score
Hi,
I would really like a natural birth & have been doing a lot of reading on this forum, but there are two things which I feel might stand in my way & I would like to hear peoples opinions:

1. Because I have a high BMI & a high chance of clotting (varicous vein from birth) I am classed as a high risk pregnancy - will this affect my chances of a natural birth? it already means that I can't do homebirth & have to do this in the hospital.

2. A lot of the great stories on here come from people in the US where there is a choice of midwife & getting to know your midwife - at my hospital I will never of met the midwife that will be delivering my baby as I live in a small village out in the sticks, we have a team of 3 midwifes but none of them will attend the birth, they just deal with mothers to be in the area ie. midwife appointments & such like - will this have a major impact on how calm I feel & how much I feel I can ask for what I want in terms of birth plan?

Thanks, would love to hear from UK mothers that have had a successful natural birth in the hospital x

Hiya. I had a natural hospit birth first time round. I can say that the midwives who I had never met before were lovely. I had a fairly long labour abd managed with just paracetamol.
Could you use s birthing pool in your hospital? That helped me alot and also helps you relax. It is definitely possible to have a natural birth I hope it all goes well for you! Xx

Hiya. I had a natural hospit birth first time round. I can say that the midwives who I had never met before were lovely. I had a fairly long labour abd managed with just paracetamol.
Could you use s birthing pool in your hospital? That helped me alot and also helps you relax. It is definitely possible to have a natural birth I hope it all goes well for you! Xx

Hi Willow,
I am not sure if there is a birthing pool available at our hospital yet, but I don't think they let people with a high BMI use them anyway :( something to do with if they need to get you out quickly and they can't lift you or so I have heard, disgusting really, I have a high BMI but I am not one of them people that needs a crane to get me out of the house or anything lol!
I have always wanted a water birth as I love the bath & swimming, but I have had to be realistic in knowing I probably can't go down that route.
Thank you :hugs: x

Thats such a shame. They told me off as my bmi was 30.5 when they weighed me at 12 weeks preg. I was not impressed and had to have the glucose tolerance test as was .5 over there limit. Like you said, I dont think it matters what size you are. If you can get yourself in the pool Im pretty sure you can get yourself out again.
I wish you all the best xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->