Natural methods for induction of labour?

DarlingGirl

Reaction score
Hello ladies! First time posting in the natural birth section but hope someone may be able to give me some advice!
For the birth of my first baby, my labour was induced in hospital due to being very overdue. I ended up with very slow dilation and quite a lot of intervention. Next time around, I would love a more natural birth and wondered if anyone might be able to offer some tips on effective and natural ways to bring on labour and how to help with establishing effective contractions.
Any advice would be really welcome! :flower:

The number one natural way is supposed to be nipple stimulation. You can use a breast pump too.. other people will say sex and walking! Lots of it, apparently. :haha:

I'd say the best way to encourage labour once it has started spontaneously, is to switch off, relax, not think and create a safe, warm oxytocin friendly environment. It should be the kind of environment you would feel comfortable making love in. Private, dark, away from observation and without time constraints. :)

Thanks ladies! :flower:
If I was to go very overdue like last time, I'll definitely have to try some of these! I'm not too sure whether you can naturally bring on an overdue baby unless the baby/your body is absolutely ready, but would like to avoid induction next time so definitely willing to try.
I've been reading the Good Birth Companion by Nicole Croft and she also discusses creating a dark, calm environment to help get labour going well. She says you have to switch off your 'thinking' brain and let the more primal part of your brain take over. Really interesting read!

Thanks ladies! :flower:
If I was to go very overdue like last time, I'll definitely have to try some of these! I'm not too sure whether you can naturally bring on an overdue baby unless the baby/your body is absolutely ready, but would like to avoid induction next time so definitely willing to try.
I've been reading the Good Birth Companion by Nicole Croft and she also discusses creating a dark, calm environment to help get labour going well. She says you have to switch off your 'thinking' brain and let the more primal part of your brain take over. Really interesting read!

It's the key to birth physiology.....other mammals don't 'think' their way through labour....they act totally instinctively....no classes, no books, they don't even 'know' what's happening....they don't think they just listen to their body and do it ;)

Now it's very simple when put like that but very hard for most modern women to do! :lol:

Good point. Birth is such an unknown quantity that the normal reaction is to try and read up on it, get organised and try to control what is happening, but birth isn't really something you can control!
Next time around, think I'll look more into yoga for pregnancy and breathing exercises to try and 'switch off' the best I can.

I would love a more natural birth and wondered if anyone might be able to offer some tips on effective and natural ways to bring on labour and how to help with establishing effective contractions.

Patience. That's all it takes. Babies come when they are ready and to interfere with that is to veer from the natural process.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->