Natural remedies & flu...

wish4baby

Reaction score
So, we have an awful flu bug going through our family - 5 of us have it now:(
My littlest baby, almost 7 weeks old, spent yesterday in the children's hospital because of it. We are confirmed flu B positive. :nope: it's a nightmare. With her, I am just nursing a lot, and topping her off with some defrosted colostrum. I actually bought some infant Tylenol, at the dr's recommendation, but I haven't opened it yet. I don't really want to give it to her.

Anyways, any natural remedies and symptom relief you can share would be so appreciated.

Here's what I am doing so far:
Vit c & zinc supplements
Colloidal silver
Hot tea w honey, lemon
(None of that for the baby lol)

Cool mist humidifier with vinegar and essential oils (eucalyptus and lemon)
Oil diffuser with thieves oil
Eucalyptus oil with carrier oil, rubbing on feet and chest for cough/congestion
Lots of hot steamy showers

What else can I do?

What are you doing with eucalyptus oil for cough/congestion? Just wanted to make sure nobody is ingesting it as it's toxic - apparently, just a couple of mls will kill a fully grown man within minutes!

If baby is congested, try raising her head while she sleeps, either by propping the legs of the cot or resting her on your arm for naps/a safe pillow if co-sleeping. A little breastmilk squirted up the nose is supposed to be good too! Raw garlic is anti-everything-bad-in-the-world so you could cut up some cloves of that and take it like tablets - you might stink but it's worth a go! I don't know if any of that would go through breastmilk, I do recall reading something about garlic affecting the taste of it but I don't know if the good stuff also gets through.

Thanks, I have heard about eating garlic for health benefits, and that it does go into the milk some...I even have some :)
and that reminded me, cutting up an onion and setting it out is supposed help remove germs in the air
No, we're not ingesting the eucalyptus, just mixing it with grape seed oil and rubbing on our feet, chest and throat. I'm not putting it on the baby, just me and the big kids. She is getting some benefit though, by breathing it off me and through the humidifier.
That's awesome about the breast milk in her nose, I've never heard of that, but I see how it'd work. Gonna keep that in mind.

I think ginger is supposed to help ease cold and flu symptoms too, and it's nice if you put a little in with hot honey and lemon drinks.

Breastmilk would probably be nice if any of you get sore dry skin around your nose too, just dab a little on and leave it to air dry.

Perhaps some lavender oil if any of you is having trouble sleeping or achey - not too much but a little should help and it's one of the safest oils so I'm sure it can be used for babies too.

Perhaps something homeopathic too? I don't know whether I believe it does anything but it's worth a go! I looked at the US Weleda website as I like their products but there wasn't much suggested for coughs and colds (I assume they would also help with the flu?); on the UK website there were more - maybe you can get some of them anyway via Amazon etc? https://www.weleda.co.uk/healthcare...ughscoldshayfever&itemsperpage=17&isviewall=1

I agree w/ the breastmilk suggestion. Also works in the ears, too - for future reference lol.

Grapeseed and Grapefruit extract (i've only seen them in pill form) work really nicely, too. They are anti fungal and anti bacterial. I swear by Grapeseed Extract (for EVERYTHING). I wouldn't give babies any - just you take it and then breastfeed should be enough to be honest.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->