Natural Remedy for Cradle Cap

Dream.A.Dream

Mum to 6yo and WTT #2!
Reaction score
Edward has this quite badly and it takes all my might to resist just picking it off :blush:

I bought a cradle cap shampoo but it's full of chemicals so I don't really want to use it.

Would olive oil do the trick?

xx

A friend used tea tree oil and it worked but cant say i have had experience as Remi had it once, not bad, and olive oil worked. She only had about a 20p sized patch of it. We drenched it in olive oil, left it for an hour and combed it off with a baby comb.

Casen had it sooooooo bad, the pediatrician said it was the worst she had seen, it was so thick when it would come off he would bleed :( We tried the olive oil, let it soak about 20min then washed it out. It was a mess and really it didn't help all that much. We ended up buying Paul Mitchell baby shampoo which isn't natural but it worked, it was the only thing that worked. It isn't made specifically for cradle cap, but it worked so well!

We did the olive oil solution hun and it really helped :D

Be warned though it is messy LOL x

we just did grapeseed oil, thankfully Q's patch was only about the size of his hand and blended well with his skin tone.

Cradle cap isn't harmful, or itchy or uncomfortable for them, it's just a tad unsightly, Q's has just cleared up fully for the first time since he was born and he's 8.5months old.

I tried Olive oil, but in the end used the Dentinox shampoo to get rid of it. Didn't like doing it, but I wanted it gone! I was paranoid about it somehow getting infected, as it happened to a baby at a baby group I go to. Probably is a very rare thing to happen, but at that time I was a bit "OMG MUST FIX THINGS!!!!" :blush:

I only had to use it for a few days, and once it was gone I started using the baby wash I use now, and it's never come back :thumbup:

it can only get infected if you pick at it and make it bleed.
it's a bit like a scab on a cut, if you pick it and it bleeds it's not ready to come off. If it curls up and comes away (or lightly picked away) it's fine.

one of the guys at my post natal group used the dentinox shampoo accidentally on his hair and it totally stripped a layer of skin off his scalp - it was raw! Def Mean stuff - but it does work, i didn't fancy using it on Q when i heard that.

both leo and nicola have it - she is nearly 4. i tend not to worry as i can't see it too much luckily. i found olive oil never came out of her hair for ages lol

Noah had it, it was yucky :wacko:

We used olive oil and almond oil. Rubbed it in at night then gently brushed the loose bits out in the morning with a soft baby brush (Noah doesnt have much hair - so covering him in oil wasnt a problem re: greasy looking hair)

After a few weeks it had all gone and stopped reappearing and he hasnt had it since.

i asked at a bf group today and somebody said sunflower oil was good too :flower:

Ella still has a bit of it, I've never worried about it and have never applied anything. She's got enough hair now that you can't see it unless you part her hair and look at her scalp!

Thanks everyone. I might just leave it, and hope it clears up xx

Someone I know swore by coconut oil, her LO had it pretty badly and she said it cleared up in a day or two.

Adam had it for a few months, not a huge amount and not unsightly, and Dentinox shampoo did nothing at all. We weren't too fussed about it, and never picked at it, but then my mil suggested olive oil and it cleared up completely after two applications. I just rubbed a little in before his bath, let it soak in, then gently massaged it with his hairbrush and it came off in chunks.

Hi, my son had cradle cap extremley badly. I used olive oil for weeks without any luck. He had heaps of hair and it just made his hair greasy. I spoke to a nurse and she told me to use Sorbolene cream with vitamin E & 10% Glycerine. Not sure if you can buy from overseas. It worked great. Within 3 days it was all gone.

Also don't wash your babies hair with baby shampoo. try something soap free. It worked great for my little boy. I still wash his hair with QV body wash. It is not harsh and strong and doesn't dry out his scalp.

I hope this helps you

Sorry, I forgot to also mention that I bought Cradle Crap product from the chemist and stopped using it striaght away as it was so strong his hair was falling out. Some hair will come off with the cradle cap but this product was way too strong.

i just brushed my boy scalp with a baby brush, do it back and forth so you are going with and against the hair. I'd do this for a few days, it would brush the loose bits off and stimulate the natural oils then they'd be clear. Others have said it hasn't worked for them but i have done it with all of mine and it's done the trick. Have heard that halos and horns can be good but i suspect the mamas who told me that were probably using baby shampoo like johnsons which can cause it. Best to wash in water or use something SLS free x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->