natural sections

marley2580

Reaction score
So, I know I don't really fit into this section but I thought this may be the best place to get the advice I'm looking for. I'm having a planned section this time round (after 2 previous em-sections) and I'm looking for hints and tips for what I can do to make it as positive and natural as I can. I have read about 'natural sections' but I'm not yet sure if my doctor will do them or not, if not I need some back up ideas. I have regrets about both my previous sections and, as this baby will likely be my last, I'd like to have a birth without regret.

id talk to your doctor about hun and your feelings on it ,you have time to change doctor if you feel like you need to do so

Try to find a Doula who works with c-section moms. She can help make the experience more positive.

Have you seen the gentle section YouTube clip?
here
This shows it in a UK hospital and gives you things to think about in terms of planning your CS. I'd say the key for your birth, especially with it being your last, is to get it all nailed down, in writing well in advance. Get everything you want to happen discussed and agreed in advance before you consent. It's much harder to negotiate these things on the day obviously and ensure its signed off with your consultant or again its unlikely to happen. :)

Well I'm feeling a bit happier, had my booking in and the midwife actually brought up that my consultant does natural sections. Cue huge sigh of relief lol

You have lots of rights when it comes to a planned CS and things you can ask for.

Read the NICE guidelines for CS
https://www.nice.org.uk/CG013

This tells you a lot about the procedures and what can happen.

You are within your rights to request a number of things during any CS...

Who is with you
Whether you want your own music playing
Do you want to know what they are doing - how much detail?
Do you want the curtain dropped to see the delivery?
Would you prefer them to avoid using forceps to pull baby out?
Do you want to be the first to look and announce the sex?
Do you want them all to shut the heck up so baby hears our voice first?
Baby will have to be taken for checks etc but do you want your birth partner to be with them?
Do you want to cuddle them in theatre or lave it until recovery?
Do you want skin to skin or baby to be dressed?
Do you want to BF in recovery if able?

There is no reason you cannot have a CS birth plan, go in with ideas about what you want, tell them and discuss it.

The others have already give good info. I am planning a HBAC, but I also sat down and planned a c-section if the situation presents itself. I found just doing that made me feel so much better about the idea. There is no reason you should not have a say in your c-section. Remember, all your doctor can do is say no, but doesn't mean that you didn't try or that you can't find a doctor who will say yes. The earlier you address the issues you have, the better you stand a chance of getting what you want. Especially since it will not be an emergency situation.

To add to Chuck's good list above, I'd ask about delayed cord clamping and delay of synto injection to allow for this (I think they have to inject for placenta removal in a section), in a non-emergency situation there should be no reason for this to be a problem. Just my 2 cents!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->