Nearly 5 year old - how will the baby get out?

I would just explain it. If you feel like saying they might cut your stomach open might be too much for her, I'd just explain a vaginal birth and leave it at that. Mine is 3, but totally knows how babies are born. We've watched birth videos together and she's seen babies born vaginally and totally gets it. She understands it can be painful and mummies make lots of noise while the babies are being born because it helps them come out. She was born at home and will likely be around when our next one is born (hopefully another home birth), so we've always talked really openly about it just so she could be prepared. She was really curious and interested about it. Honestly, I've never really explained a c-section to her because that wasn't how she was born and we've never seen one in the videos we watch (obviously because they're all home births), so I guess it never occurred to me to bring it up. But as that's not something they could be there for anyway, you probably don't need to go into too many details if you think it would be confusing or frightening for her to think someone might cut your belly open. But certainly explaining a vaginal birth in detail with my 3 year old was pretty easy and she totally got it, so I would just explain it in as much detail as you feel comfortable with and answer her questions.

My 3.5yo ds just thinks that when the baby grows too big mummy will go to the hospital and the Dr will take it out of my belly. He's never really asked me to elaborate how the Dr takes it out lol

When my daughter was born, my son was just a few weeks from turning 4, and he just came to the conclusion that I burped the baby out. :haha: That's the Only opening that he could fathom a baby owing out of! I thought it was too cute and let him believe that. They know now that they cut my tummy open to get the baby out. (I've had 3 c sections)

I told my six year old the facts. He thought it was gross but I wouldn't want to sugar coat it for him, I don't with anything to be honest ;)

Thanks everybody seeing how open and honest and easy everyone seems with this definitely leads me to the conclusion the issue is with me! I was thinking it would freak her out thinking that my vagina is going to open to allow the baby to come out. She has only ever known vagina/bottom for using the toilet. I'm not sure why this is such an issue for me to talk about as i know its fascinating and an absolute miracle what the body does and i guess it will help her understand why ill be sore there after and she'll need to be careful with me. My mum never lied to me about anything like that and is a really open person but some reason im very private and find it really hard talking about anything personal with anyone other than my oh!

Weve discussed breastfeeding as i plan to again and i juat explained thats what boobies are for - feeding babies and she compared me to cows and other animals. Birth has just never come up in any shape or form before. I suppose i need to start thinking about birth like breastfeeding.

Do i raise it now with her? Im 39 weeks and 1 day so labour is imminent x

Thanks everybody seeing how open and honest and easy everyone seems with this definitely leads me to the conclusion the issue is with me! I was thinking it would freak her out thinking that my vagina is going to open to allow the baby to come out. She has only ever known vagina/bottom for using the toilet. I'm not sure why this is such an issue for me to talk about as i know its fascinating and an absolute miracle what the body does and i guess it will help her understand why ill be sore there after and she'll need to be careful with me. My mum never lied to me about anything like that and is a really open person but some reason im very private and find it really hard talking about anything personal with anyone other than my oh!

Weve discussed breastfeeding as i plan to again and i juat explained thats what boobies are for - feeding babies and she compared me to cows and other animals. Birth has just never come up in any shape or form before. I suppose i need to start thinking about birth like breastfeeding.

Do i raise it now with her? Im 39 weeks and 1 day so labour is imminent x

I think it would make a lot of sense to raise it now.

You can start by just saying how exciting it is that baby is coming soon and explain that when you go into labour your muscles have to work super hard push baby down so that it come out and you will probably make noises like when you lift something super heavy. Do some sample huffing, puffing and groaning noises for her. Then when baby is getting close you will go to hospital to push it out. That prepairs her for the part of labour she might be a part of and leaves the opening for questions. If she is satisfied with that then its not like you have to explain every detail. Chances are she will have questions and you can answer them simply and honestly which is probably easier than you trying to explain the whole thing. If she asks where the baby comes out you can just say the baby comes out of the vagina or that there is a hole next to where you pee that is for baby to come out of.

My friend recently had a baby. Her 4 year old was present in the birthing room cheering her on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
queenmom14
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->