nearly 7 yo soiling himself

cat_reversing

Mummy to beautiful V
Reaction score
my close family member is nearly 7 and has been getting progressively worse with not getting to the toilet in time or holding it all day then having an accident because he can't hold it any longer. it's mostly number 2s but also for wees. He sometimes does it at school and doesn't seem to feel embarrassed or uncomfortable, doesn't seem concerned about the fact that he obviously smells.
his mum is at her wits end, she's spoken to him about it several times, and is very frustrated and doesn't know what to do.
he'll say he doesn't need to go then shortly after he'll do it in his pants.
sometimes he's too excited about what he's doing to stop and go to the loo but other times he just does it.
Anyone with any experience or tips?

I think I'd go to the doctors and ask them sorry can't be more help, I did know of a similar issue I think the doctor could help x

Not sure...but I'll echo what imogen said--I would take him to see the doctor.

My SD had a similar issue when she was that age. She also wasn't bothered by having dirtied her clothes, and often times didn't even seem to notice. She was diagnosed with ADHD around that time and getting treatment for that seemed to really help with the bathroom issues, although it didn't fully resolve them. She is much older now and will still on occasion have a urine accident, not full out, but enough that I can tell, but she doesn't act embarrassed or even like she notices.

mother took him to dr, he's become constipated so it hurts to go so he holds it so it doesn't hurt and so on, got some laxatives so we'll see what happens.

my close family member is nearly 7 and has been getting progressively worse with not getting to the toilet in time or holding it all day then having an accident because he can't hold it any longer. it's mostly number 2s but also for wees. He sometimes does it at school and doesn't seem to feel embarrassed or uncomfortable, doesn't seem concerned about the fact that he obviously smells.
his mum is at her wits end, she's spoken to him about it several times, and is very frustrated and doesn't know what to do.
he'll say he doesn't need to go then shortly after he'll do it in his pants.
sometimes he's too excited about what he's doing to stop and go to the loo but other times he just does it.
Anyone with any experience or tips?

This is totally my partners daughter, not usually number twos but.......wees everyday....we are seeking advise from everywhere but what i think it is is that she dosnt eat right, then dosnt sleep right then is wet during the day and yes at school and she dosnt seem to care that she smells........its so hard. We ahve been told she will grow oit of it and not to make a big deal but it is so hard not to, its so frustrating.
So yes i know where you stand. We are going to try and totally ignore it completly for a couple of weeks and not make any comment about it. Any comment is attention weather good or bad. She just dosnt care and i think thats what is the hardest thing of all. Its also so frustrating thay she wont eat a decent meal for the simple fact of what is put on her plate she dosnt like and will refuse to eat the any of it, she also wont go to sleep till late at night and i thimk that has something to do with it, parenting is hard!!
Good luck.

I think this book is worth a read - https://www.amazon.co.uk/Constipati...&sr=8-1&keywords=constipation+and+withholding It's only quite short but it's very reassuring and makes some good suggestions.

This thread is a while old, but I'd still like to reply. My daughter had the same problem. We had an uphill battle to get to the bottom of it. She was diagnosed with an occult tethered cord (a tethered cord not seen on MRI) and operated for it successfully. She regained alot of lost bladder and bowel function and it's going well with her regarding that now.

Reason though I wanted to reply, is the recurring comments of "he/she seems to not care that they smell/they're wet/they're dirty" etc. This is a self protection act. They feel immensely embarressed, and awful, but can't show it, or admit to it. Because they don't have control over their bodily functions, something all human beings seems to master. Why not them? So not caring, not acknowledging it, makes it bearable. I never understood this until after my daughter improved after her operation.

She also didn't feel it happening, or about to happen, so she too would numerous times tell me she doesn't need to go to the bathroom, just to have an accident seconds or minutes later. It used to infuriate me. Or it seemed like she was too engrossed in play/tv/etc. to go to the bathroom. But it turned out, she really couldn't feel her bladder filling, or her bowels moving. The connection to her brain telling her about these signals, the spinal cord, were damaged.

I really would urge everyone to take a child with accidents at such a late age, to the doctor, as there's a number of causes for children to fail or regress with potty training. None of it the child's "fault".

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->