NEC

freddiesmum

mummy of two
Reaction score
Hey guys!
Did ne1 elses preemie get neck??
I got a phone call this am sayin teeny might have it and now im worried sick! Googled it BAD idea! Did ne1 elses preemie get it? If so what was the outcome?
HELP!
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
*hugs and wishes*

My lo didn't get NEC but there are some on here that did. If caught early enough then antibiotics are usually successful in treating it. It's about a 10 day course and all feeds stopped. The hospital I was in at the beginning was a surgical unit so there was 3 babies there born at 25 & 26 weeks who all had stoma's due to NEC. I am in contact with 2 of the mums. One of them got it reversed at 35 week gestation to help weight gain and by his first birthday was 18lb so it obviously worked! The other got his reversed around 2 months corrected. Both babies are thriving.

Hope your lo is ok:hugs:

hi my bub got it. Thankfully antibiotics were enough and caught well in time.

well acctually i noticed and pressured the docs 2 check her. I cried and barled and just said look she doesnt look right and 2 my horror that night they called me and said she had developed NEC.

however as 25weeker said they followed that procedure and antibiotics did the trick.

it was stressful tho- for me more stressful than brain bleeds pda reflux rop or anything else she got. reflux used to make me cry but with the nec i just never expected. She got it at wk 31/32 and at that point i thought she was getting better not worse so when i was sat in the parents room reading a leaflet on it , I thought 'thank god thats the 1 thing she didnt get' and 2 days later she bloody got it.

Omg damn nicu was hard - just bringing back memories.

hopefully urs is caught early and antibiotics and nil by mouth will b enough.

good luck. x

How old and big is your baby? The older and bigger they are the more developed they are so have a far better chance. We had a couple of episodes of suspected NEC with one of our twins when he was really small (29 weeks corrected the first time and only about 2lbs in weight). They immediately stopped his feeds, put him on antibiotics and did blood tests and cultures. Thankfully the blood tests came back quickly and showed no indication of infection. The cultures took a couple of days and he was kept off feeds until they came back clear. Some of the antibiotics were stopped straight away and others were kept in place for 5 days. Feeds were reintroduced and the amount he was given was gradually increased, which took nearly a week to get back to his full feeds.

At our hospital they said they would rather be cautious and treat it as if the baby had the infection straight away rather than waiting days for blood results to come back saying they may or may not have it.

How is your baby? Have they said anything further?

My daughter had it and she is fine now.

they put her on NEC watch when her stool had blood in it. They ceased all feeds to let her bowels rest and she was put on two types of antibiotics. They did X-rays every 8 hours to check for perforations or distended loops in her bowels. This also showed if there was movement in her bowels.

Does your baby have an open PDA?

The reason I ask is my daughter did and her first NEC watch happened when they were giving her endomicin to try and close her PDA, her second NEC watch was when they tried to give her ibuprofen to close her PDA and her third NEC watch was when she was transferred to another hospital to get her PDA closed surgically. The whole time she had little to no movement with her bowels and two distended loops, which was not good. But thankfully no tears. Because of the PDA her bowels weren't getting enough blood supply. Once her PDA was fixed, it took time but her system sorted itself out and she was able to eat again.

NEC is fast acting so it's good they caught it quickly. Good luck and lets know the outcome

My teeny is 32 weeks corrected n weighs 3lb4oz! The docs arent really sayin much n arent really sure! He had blood in his stool wednesday night which is why they r treatin it as nec. He wasnt being treated for anything else at the time and looks perfectly well, his tummy is soft, hes active n hes very cross as hes starving, hes nill by mouth for a week and on antibiotics! They did one xray and that showed a slight abnormality! But i asked if they woukd repeat it n they said no! The docs are so confusing because you talk to one n they say one thing, talk to another and they say something else! Im just prayin, as he seems well, the antibiotics might be enough to clear whatever might be there! On the upside hes stopped desating since hes stopped being fed, hes clearly learnt his lesson lol!
*hugs and wishes*

hi hun, Grace had 'suspected NEC' and then she had NEC a few weeks later. She was vomiting, had blood in her stools, distended abdomen etc. She was transferred at 4am to the regional hospital and had surgery that morning. She came home last thursday :)

Hopeing your little man is ok!

xx

I think the fact that your little one is a bit bigger and older, and that they have started treatment so quickly is a good sign. If the tummy is soft then that usually means things will be OK but I'm no doctor! Lucas thought his throat had been cut when he had his feeds stopped. He likes his food does my boy!

If he isn't desatting so much now his feeds are stopped then they are probably related to wind and/or reflux. We also had that problem but Lucas was put on reflux meds and eventually grew out of it.

so... teeny doesnt have NEC, when they thought (and still do) he had reflux he had a PH study, and when they put the probe down his nose it must've irritated/caught his bowel n therefore caused the blood is in poop!! Bloody docs!!! But glad he's ok xx thanks everyone xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->