Need advice about colposcopy

faun

Mum to 2 boys and 1 girl
Reaction score
I have posted this in the girly sanctuary as well but thought it might be better in here as its about health. Just before i got pregnant i had a smear test well the results came back that i had abnormal cells and i needed a colposcopy i got a letter from the hospital with an appointment but i found out i was pregnant.
So the doctor told me it would be ok to have the procedure but they wouldn't be able to treat me as i am pregnant. So when i was about 8 weeks i had it done and the consultant said everything would be ok till after the baby was born and i could have treatment then.
So i forgot about it well put it to the back of my mind anyway. Then on the day of my 20 week scan i got a phone call from my consultant and he had been talking to other doctors about my case and he is worried that things may have advanced and i have to go back for another colposcopy i am very scared as i am going to be 25 weeks when i go back for another colposcopy as there is a slight risk of miscarriage and i don't know what to do.
Should i go for the procedure and take the risk?
The consultant has also said if anything has changed i will have to have a c-section at 32 weeks so that they can treat me before i get cancer. Would the baby be ok if it was born this early?
I am going out of my mind with stress and worry about this and i don't know what to do please can someone offer some advice or tell me everything will be ok?

Faun,
I don't know how much help I can be in a pregnant situation - but, I had a colposcopy done whilst not being pregnant.. this was a relatively simple investigation of just looking at the cervix through a camera and taking some cells to check them for there abnomality. This is my understanding of what a colposcopy is.
After the colposcopy The cells were confirmed, as my smear suggested, as being abnormal. I then had a "Letz-loop" done where they used a thin wire with an electrical current running though it, to burn off the abnormal cells. I'm guessing that this is the procedure that you might not be able to have whist pregnant, but there is no reason that I can see to stop you from having the colposcopy done to investigate any abnormal cells?
I know how difficult it is to combine different medical needs when you are pregnant. I have problems with my kidneys and have for sometime. I'm seeing not only the Urologist but also the Obstetrics consultant for my care - and it is hard to co-ordinate and get straight answers. In essense you need both for there specilised areas.
I would advise you to have the colposcopy done, then you, your Gynae department, midwife and consultant Obstetrician know how to proceed.
When you have a medical condition, (and i'm taling for myself here) there is a balance between your health and the health of the child. For example, I have to have an MRI done and this is for my kidneys, to check there how they are copping. But before being pregnant I was offered a CT scan - but due to the babies risk of exposure to x-rays I can no longer balance having a CT, but can have the MRI.
Do talk to you Obs Secretary if your worried. He or she can get your Obstetrition to call you at home to discuss the risks involved in both having it done and the risk of leaving it? It is your right to be informed.
Good luck let us know how you get on.
XX

I had my colposcopy yesterday and nothing has changed :) so i'm allowed to go full term and have treatment in December i am so relieved.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->