Need advice to get baby to take a bottle

ready4num2

Reaction score
How did you get your LO to take a bottle? We've tried different brands/nipples. The first time she took it no problem. We've been trying every couple of days and I got her to take one from me once no problem. Now she just screams when we try. Just need some advice. DH and I are taking our older daughter somewhere for a few hours so we need to get this little one to take a bottle. She's a little over 6 weeks and BF is more than established so now just her to take that bottle!

I've done a lot of reading on this as I will be introducing a bottle soon so DH can feed him when I am away, but I have no first hand experience. I read that you shouldn't be the one to give the bottle and that you shouldn't even be in the same room as the baby can smell you and will reject the bottle. Alternately I read some people have success with having a shirt nearby that smells of you. I also read that it may help to hold them in a different position that they are used to breastfeeding in...so like, facing away from the person and not in a cradle hold.

Have you given just the nipple to play with and become familiar with?

I've also read all of the above tips too but my lo prefers me to feed him his bottle and is the same position as I'd feed him boob! If my other half feeds him, he still wants boob after even if he's not finished his bottle!

I have read that too. I figured id try since she doesn't want it from anyone else. I was surprised she took it from me! Only once though.

She screams and screams if you even put the bottle in or near her mouth.

Not sure if I am qualified to give advice as I dont think we have quite cracked it just yet but we are getting there. Firstly, we have tried a variety of bottles and teats and have found the NUK ones seem to work the best. We have also found that despite DD taking it from me once or twice initially, we have better luck when I am out of the room or even better - out of the house lol. DH will also try to feed her in a different position than she normally be in to BF as she has a habit of turning her head towards his chest looking for a boobie.

x

I didn't think it would be this difficult to get her to take a bottle! I'm going to try leaving the house completely when DH gets home later it couldn't hurt to try, nothing else is working yet!

Does your LO scream when you attempt to give the bottle? Mine doesn't just reject or refuse she all out cries hysterically and I just can't handle hearing her doing that.

She will usually try to put it in her mouth and swish then teat round with her tongue for a couple of seconds and the if she decides she doesn't want it then she will get pretty upset and start crying. If she does this, we leave her for 5 mins and try again. We will only try 2 or 3 times and then call it a day if she hasn't taken it as I don't want it to become a battle and for her to start crying as soon as she sees it iykwim.

DH does seem to have more luck with her when I'm not here and the NUK teats seem to be working much better as the shape makes it harder for her to swish with her tongue. I have a night out at the end of this month that has been planned for about six months so it will be the first time I have left her for more than an hour so I guess that will be the real test for us!

Stick with it and try not to get too stressed as LO will pick up on it. I would also suggest not offering your breast immediately after she has refused a bottle as she will be more likely to refuse again next time and hold out for mummy.

Good luck!

X

Have u tried offering the bottle before she asks for food? I find my lo takes it better if I give it him st the first signs of him being hungry and before he was used to it he would cry for boob if I left it too long

Not tried them but the mam bottles look quite good, u can kind of turn it inside out and use it to sterilize itself . That a side the teats feel really soft and my lo loves their dummies, might be worth a try

I've heard (from a LC), that it doesn't matter what bottle you use, it's the technique that's important. She said paced bottle feeding is the way to do it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UH4T70OSzGs

We haven't had any luck here though!

We've been battling this for a while with moderate success. He took them no problem for a while, then we started doing it less frequently and he started refusing - screaming his head off every time we tried! We've gotten back on track now after some persistence.

So I advise giving a bottle every day, pain though it is. Baby needs to perfect their technique. We changed from Tommy tippee to NUK and they seem to be better. OH gives a bottle every evening, trying to get in before DS is too hungry or tired. He holds him close in to his body, cradle hold, and pins his arm down as otherwise DS bats the bottle away and flails about!
I try to stay out of sight so he's not looking for boob. He needs winded loads and loads during each feed, bottles make him so windy - especially as he faffs so much at the start that he gulps a lot of air.

Hope some of these tips help x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Burgess422
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->