• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Need help, kind of considering VBAC

stephalie

Reaction score
Hello :)

Since I found out I was pregnant I was pretty positive I was going to do a repeat c-section after how my first went. I ended up with a placenta abruption and I tried to labor for 20 hours (petocin and everything, I never dilated). I developed a 104 degree fever and they took me for an emergency c-section. My son was also born with a fever and I didn't get to see him for 4+ hours after birth. It was pretty traumatic for me and I didn't develop a connection to my amazing son for about a month or so after.

I'm now 15 weeks pregnant and my husband really wants me to have a repeat c-section. My birth experience was the scariest time of his life- it got bad at points. The fact that I never dilated really scares me from trying a VBAC. Can I hear experiences from people that had a VBAC after an Emergency C-section or just opinions in general. I have this guilt that I'm failing as a mother just going for a repeat C...

I'm going for another c section and I don't feel bad about it at all. Most important thing is the baby arrives safe and you are safe too. My c section was planned because my dd was breech and it was an amazing experience, very calm and enjoyable. I would like that experience again. I did labour with a baby I lost and it was a terrible, painful experience. Just go with your gut instinct. Xxx

I am also considering a vbac much to the irritation and worry of my family! I had a failed three day induction, haemorrage and placenta abruption and ended up with a code 1 (serious emergency) c section. I dont feel the need to have a natural delivery, I just dont want to have to wait a year before safely trying for another given my age

I had a bad C-Section experience with complications that lasted years after. Problems many would not even ascribe to a C-Section like hormonal imbalances and digestive issues...which can turn you into a train wreck. It bears more risks than a natural birth in normal cases, so if all is well this time I will go for a VBAC. I am actually extremely scared of a repeat C-Section because of the problems I've named. My whole body was just off.

Often complications are related to less than ideal methods of birthing. I read quite a lot about it. For example, pitocin can really sabotage your labor, make it more painful, ling lasting and lead to other problems. Sometimes labor even completely stops. That can be the culprit of your fever as well.
Same with epidurals, they slow things down, hinder your ability to push, slow down the heartrate of your baby.

Laboring flat on your back also isn't helpful. Sitting in a birthing chair, squatting or going on all knees makes labor easier and faster thanks to gravity helping you. Try to poop laying on your back...not so easy right? ;)

There are many more little things like this...I would consult a midwife that specializes in natural birthing methods. Hear her advice even if not all is for you. But she can explain about some of the nonsense that is advised in hospitals.

For a VBAC even more precautions have to be taken. The stomach should not be pushed on to avoid the scar tearing.

https://www.mamanatural.com/vbac/

I had an awful c section and a wonderful VBAC last time. I'll be VBACing again this time x

I WILL be getting my VBAC!!! I'm positive I can do it, also much to the dismay of my family!! But I don't care, I'm doing all my research and getting all knowledge of everything, being very active this go around with healthy eating and I have a super supportive dr!!!
My emergency c-section was incredibly traumatic, it had to be under general and I didn't get to meet dd until she was 2 hours old. So I'm bound and determined to get the birth I want this time!!!

I've recently been given the green light for a VBA2C as I've had two emergency cesareans. 2nd baby was supposed to be VBAC but failed for completely different reasons so just think I was unlucky. Hopefully 3rd time lucky. The way you birth your baby definitely doesn't make you any less of a mummy and the main reason I didn't want a planned one is because they are booked for 39 weeks and I believe my little ones take a little longer to cook so don't want her evicted early x

I am hoping for my 2nd VBAC. My first was successful with an epidural towards the end due to some pain around the scar sight. My first caesar was an emergency after being induced with a balloon then a drip followed by hours of labour in which I wasn't dilating due to my baby being in a posterior position. My first baby was also posterior but I managed to deliver him vaginally after a long labour. My first vbac my baby was also posterior but as I was aware that I carry my babies in a posterior position I kept getting her position checked towards the end of the pregnancy and spent a lot of time on a medicine ball during pregnancy whenever I was sitting to try and maintain the best posture which apparently helps baby to stay in the right position. I would ask why they think your first labour didn't progress as babies position can have a lot to do with it. I would then follow what your midwife /doctors recommend. They deliver babies everyday and will advise you of what your best options are to have a safe delivery. I am hoping for another vbac but am also contemplating another caesar due to my Mum going overseas around my due date and my last baby was 10 days overdue. At the end of the day a c-section is a major operation but there are also complications with a vaginal.delivery. As long as your baby arrives safely not much else matters. A friend of mine has four children all delivered by c-section. Her pelvis is too small to deliver vaginally and all babies arrived safely with no complications. Good luck with working out what to do. ☺

When you say you didn't dilate at all last time, I would say your whole experience was caused by you being induced far too early for what your baby and your body were ready for. Induction is well known for starting a cascade of intervention that quite often results in an emergency Cesarean, and it sounds like your ordeal last time was quite traumatic :hugs:

If you would like to have a VBAC, I would find a provider who has a good track record of successful vbacs as many will say they will support a vbac but impose a bunch of stipulations at the last minute making it very unlikely to achieve. Around here the percentage of women in hospitals who successfuly achieve a vbac (after intending to so not counting scheduled repeat cesareans) is significantly under 10%.
I would speak with your chosen provider as well about how far overdue they will "let" you go, and firmly remind them that one isn't overdue until 42 weeks. A lot of drs don't seem to like women to go past 40 weeks, especially if they are planning a vbac, but IMO the risks of inducing at or before 40 weeks far outweigh the risks of a pregnancy gestating until 42 weeks. You will have to do the research yourself to determine what your own risk assessment and comfort level though, and you are the one who will have to live with the outcome so don't let your provider dictate his or her own risk comfort on you.

But yes discuss with your provider what will happen if you reach that date, be it 40, 41, 42 weeks. Would you opt to be induced again or would you prefer to go straight to a cesarean if you have not naturally gone into labour by that point?

Marumi gave some very helpful tips about the practical parts of labouring successfully as well. Being mobile qmd upright to labour (and for pushing as well) is so much more effective than being flat on your back and strapped to monitors.

Being a vbac with a prior placenta abruption you will be monitored constantly, so another thing to look for in a provider is if they have a wireless CTG monitor as that will allow you to be able to be mobile and even be able to get in the shower for pain relief while still constantly monitoring baby's heart rate.

If you do opt for a repeat section, either from the get go or if you have not come into labour naturally by a certain date etc, you can make specific requests that will help make it a more calming and positive experience for you. If you research family-centred cesareans you can discuss any of those options that appeal to you with your provider.

I also strongly encourage you to look into seeding the baby's microbiome with a vaginal swab taken prior to you going on antibiotics as it is now known that our gut flora is established at birth via mother's flora coming into contact with the baby at birth, mostly theough exposure jn the vagina, and nearly impossible to positively influence later. Our gut health has an impact on our overall health for the rest of our lives.

Good luck either way you decide to go. Birth is an important time for you as much as your baby, and the way you feel about your birth can profoundly affect you and therefore your baby as well, so take your own needs into consideration and don't consider them to be selfish. What other people think of the way you give birth - be it vbac or repeat cesarean - is no one else's business.

NDH, I would like to talk to you more about vbac, you seem incredibly educated about it and also just birth in general!

Sure, shoot me a message :) I have no formal training or anything and I've never had a cesarean or therefore vbac but I spend all my spare time in crunchy pregnancy and birth groups and have many midwife friends, and have gleaned a lot of knowledge over the years. And I know where to find info I don't know.

NDH actually covered this quite well. The only thing I have to offer is that there's a certain amount of guilt/demonization/hatred towards medically indicated c-sections that I find kind of ridiculous. Keep in mind that a scheduled c-section is nothing like a crash emergency one. It can actually be a quite easier and more laid back experience than actual labour. NDH gave you some really good advice regarding both options (VBAC and c-section). All I can add is to try and expel any and all guilt that opting for a c-section would make you less of a good mother (honestly, I don't even know where that fad came from...) Choose what you feel most comfortable with and the rest will follow. When the time comes, if you feel comfortable and at ease with your choice, then the overall experience and your bonding with your baby will be better as well. Discuss this with your husband and your doctor until you find a plan you feel confident with. Hugs and wishes for the best! :hugs:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
raisingbisho
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->