Need help please!!!!

wishn2Bmom

Kicked infertility's ass
Reaction score
So here's my predicament....
I am American (problem I know haha) so I do not know how to make a proper British rice pudding. I have looked around online and everyhting I can seem to find is not right!!! You see my grandmother is born and raised English, very sadly she is now dying of cancer and has been in and out of the hospital for weeks now :cry: Food doesn't taste good to her because of the chemo therapy, EXCEPT rice pudding!!! This is something she loved as a child in England, but hasn't had in at least 30 yrs. My mom and I made some the other night for her from a recipe we found on google. She said it was good, but it wasn't like she had as a girl. She mentioned something about whipping the milk and egg together and that it was baked in the oven (unlike ours which was stove top).

If anyone could help I would be eternally grateful!!!!

hi hun i have an old fashioned english cook book i'll look for you tomoz see i can find one for you !! if i do give me your e.mail so i can scan and send it to you xx

50g short grain rice
1 pint milk (600ml)
75g caster sugar
15g butter (cut into flakes)
1/2 tsp grated nutmeg
2 eggs separated

boil rice in enough water to cover it for 5 mins
drain rice and put in buttered 2 pt oven proof dish
stir in milk and 50g of the sugar
dot with the butter and sprinkle half of the nutmeg
bake at 170c 325f gas mark 3 for 1 hour
remove from oven cool for 5 mins then beat in yolks from eggs lightly into the rice.
return to oven for 30 mins

meanwhile whisk the egg whites with remaining 25g of sugar until they are still but not dry
remove pud from oven let cool for 5 mins
fold in the beaten egg whites and sprinke remaining nutmeg return to the oven for 15 mins to set egg whites !!!

all sounds a bit complicated for me good luck with it it's from a really ole farmhouse cookbook xx

Hey ladies, thank you so much for the feedback. I wanted to let you know that I tried one of the recipes for her today and she said it was "real rice pudding" :happydance: She gave me some suggestions to make it better, but she ate it.... which means a whole lot right now.

Thanks again.

heres mine: i think its about 19p from asda lol doesnt do me or the family any complant infact ive been asked for seconds:hug:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->