Need some advice about homebirths

meandmyfive

Reaction score
Hi girls i am hoping you can help me, has anyone had a homebirth with a history of strep B. I would love a homebirth this time but i dont know if i will be allowed as i have had strep b in the last 2 pregnancies.

Thanks for any advice

I'm sorry I don't know hun but I'm sure someone will be able to help you! x

I know a few women on the Homebirth yahoo group have done it successfully. There are things you can do to get rid of it (herbally), and you have to monitor the baby's temp carefully for the first 48 hours. Another option is for the MWs to administer the antibiotics at home, or for you to go into the labour ward in early labour to get the antibiotics and then go home again. No one can deny you a homebirth if that's what you really want, but they can try bloody hard to dissuade you.

My MW was going to administer antibiotics at home during my birth if I had tested positive.

Hi girls i am hoping you can help me, has anyone had a homebirth with a history of strep B. I would love a homebirth this time but i dont know if i will be allowed as i have had strep b in the last 2 pregnancies.
My sister has strep b and she was told that she couldn't have a homebirth because of the medication the baby will need and she also couldn't have a waterbirth because of possible complications. With her first child they thought her baby might have complications from the strep b because he was stuck in the birth canal for like three hours, probably because of the double-dose epidural they gave her. (She skipped the epidural for baby #2!) But I'm rambling...

I should mention that we are in the U.S., and as a rule doctors and hospitals here are very anti-homebirth. I hope you can find out what you need to give birth at home.
:crib:

I know a few women on the Homebirth yahoo group have done it successfully. There are things you can do to get rid of it (herbally), and you have to monitor the baby's temp carefully for the first 48 hours. Another option is for the MWs to administer the antibiotics at home, or for you to go into the labour ward in early labour to get the antibiotics and then go home again. No one can deny you a homebirth if that's what you really want, but they can try bloody hard to dissuade you.

Hi Marley thanks for the info :hugs: i havnt heard of things to get rid of it before i will have to do some research into that!! I have never had time to get antibiotics iv before due to very fast labours me and the babies have had to stay in hospital for 48 hours while they get the antibiotics so i think this may cause another problem:dohh:

Look on the 3rd tri forum, there's a thread about GBS atm and someone's posted some good links for getting rid of it naturally.

Unfortunately, I can't see any good evidence that these herbal remedies work - where's the research? I'd rather have a reliable test (not the NHS one which gives way too many false positives) late in pregnancy and, if I'm carrying GBS, then have antibiotics in labour. Fab that your midwife will give you intravenous antibiotics at home - again, no good evidence that oral antibiotics work, though plenty that the intravenous ones do. Also there's no good evidence against a water birth if you're carrying Strep B - there's an article on the Links/Research papers page of the Group B Strep Support website called Water Birth for Women with GBS: A Pipe Dream? which any health professionals trying to stop you having a waterbirth because of carrying GBS should read!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->