Need some advice and opinions regarding BF & Fluoxetine.

miss h

Reaction score
Hey ladies, Could really do with some advice regarding breastfeeding and taking fluoxetine. Sorry in advance about the long post.

To cut a long story as short as possible: I was diagnosed with Bipolar disorder back in 2008. I have a degree in psychology and worked within the mental health field so I know a lot about the disorder and the medications(e.g.the way they work). My main problems are when my moods go very low - I have only really had a couple of manic (high) episodes so don't really consider these problematic. I have been off and on this medication and that since my diagnosis and came off all medication when I found out I was pregnant (not a rash decision). I also saw a psychologist who helped me to recognise the signs of my mood changing and things I can do to stop it.

Unfortunately, when I was around 20 weeks PG I had a massive mood crash and had to go back on medication. My G.P and psychiatrist agreed that fluoxetine would be the safest as it is one of the oldest "new-generation" SSRIs so has the most research done on it's affects. As before both were happy for me to adjust my own dose according to how I felt. I started on 40mg and as my mood lifted went down to 20mg. Because I am pretty well at the moment I take 20mg on alternative days. I don't particularly want to stop taking it as I am high risk for PND.

I have mentioned to my G.P, Midwife, Psychiatrist and Health Visitor that I really, really want to try breastfeeding. All have told me that it's not a problem and that fluoxetine is safe when breastfeeding even though it is found in breast milk. However, when doing my own research nearly everything I have read contradicts this. :nope:

At the moment I am really feeling at a loss as to what to do. My OH wants me to listen to my G.P and Psychiatrist etc. I have an appointment with my psychiatrist tomorrow morning so will definately bring it up then.

Just really, really need some advice please ladies.

Your best to speak to your psychiatrist and perhaps ask what evidence base he/she is using to tell you its ok to breast feed, or you could ring the drug manufacturer and ask them what research has been done.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->