need some advise when applying for jobs please

magicbubble

Reaction score
i am a teacher and have only ever worked in schools and nurseries. but i want a complete change, especially with baby on the way. i am looking at a job in a garden centre at the moment. they have said to send in a cv. but what do i put on it? i have an interest in wildlife, plants and animals. have done all my life but the only reall involvement i have had is doing my own garden, and being a member of a conservation group when i was a teenager (a long time ago!).

do i put on all my qualifications? or is it ok to leave some out. i dont want them to ask why i am applying for a job on tills in a garden centre or for a gardeners job in a garden centre when i have spent my whole life training to be a teacher. it might put them off.

hmmm anyone got any advise? im a wee bit stuck :)

Hey, didn't want to read and run...
I cant see the harm in putting everything down, there are a lot of transferable skills that come from teaching (organisational / time management skills etc) and that would be a bonus in any new job. I don't think you have to justify why you have chosen to take a break from or leave teaching...I'd love to be brave enough to make a switch! Good luck with the job

but not to sound snobby or undermeaning to people who work in shops, i am going to apply to go from teaching, to working on a till. i know it was an effort to get a nursery nurse job cos they thought i was over qualified and that i would run out on them (which i have but not for that reason). people seem to be afraid to take on people who have more experience or qualifications than are needed i am finding. is this what is holding me back?

I think if you can give a reasonable explanation for why you want to change then it'll be ok.

hmmm ok now i need a reeeeeaaaalllllly good reason. i dont think 'i fancy a change' is going to convince them :lol:

i have always wanted to work in conservation and environmental care though, even before i went to college. if this is related i wonder if that is a good enough reason...

If you explain it right and with confidence then i think yes. Say that you have always had an interest in nature and gardening, you enjoyed your job as a teacher but feel its a good time to persue what you really want to do and assisting in a garden centre seemed like a good way to start! Are you going to tell them you're pg when you apply?

Make sure you focus on skills rather than specific tasks eg, understanding your clients needs, patience, working to tight timescales, following health and safety practices, working as part of a team, using your initiative to get the job done efficiently etc..

Definitely tell them the truth. What better reason for wanting a particular job is there than that you think you'll enjoy it and you will be good at it? I used to work in a book shop, which I know is slightly different but I think the same principles still apply. The particular shop that I worked for had a high staff turnover because they usually employed people that were overqualified. They knew that and they were happy with it - they were happy to take the advantages of overqualified staff along with the potential disadvantages.

Also, I think most people would be able to understand why a teacher might want a different job! They may not come up with the same reason as yours but they would see why it's understandable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mummynugs
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"