Need to cry.

SyllyPoohBear

Mother of 1 expecting # 2
Reaction score
Update: Talk to a behaviorist and we are going to try to work thru the problems with our dogs.

I'm so sorry to hear your dogs aren't getting along. Is there something going on at home to cause them the extra stress? Are they both fixed? Was it a reaction to food, a toy, or some other prized possession? Is it something that can be managed without having to rehome her? How old are both dogs?

You'll have to do whatever you think is best but there are options to consider also. Behavioral modification training could help or figuring out what triggers the instances. I have five dogs and they're far from perfect, but we manage. They all have to be separated at feeding time and we can NEVER leave food out anywhere or they'll instantly fight over it. It can be as small as a single piece of shredded cheese on the floor and that could trigger a fight. Also, they all went through their "teen" years at the same time so we had about a year or two of pure HELLL as they fought with each other constantly. Four are now seven years old (no littermates, just happened to all be the same age as I rescued them) and one is nine. Things have settled down but there are still things that can trigger a fight and they do still happen. It will definitely be interesting adding a baby to the home but again, we'll manage. These guys were my babies first. We've been through a divorce, two moves, and lots more together - they're not going to lose me now!

Anyway, feel free to PM me. I ran an animal rescue and have worked with dogs with many different behavioral issues if you want to try to work things out between your two.

:hugs:

Sorry to hear that hun. We had to put our dog down on Wednesday so I know how you're feeling. She would snap at random people for no reason but was usually good with the family. We're gutted but knowing it's for the best helps. xx

What size/type is your dog? If your dog is larger, perhaps if you have friends/relatives in a rural area he would do better out there. My family farms and we always have a few puppies running around, they all seem to be very happy in the outdoors.

Hi, I'm sorry to hear what you are going through. :( Gardenofedens gave some excellent advice though and I hope you and your family think carefully about the decision.

I have worked with several dog rescues since my late teens and foster dogs for small UK rescues. I don't know what country you are in, but in the UK the harsh reality is that if your dog has a history of biting, it will not find a new home, it will be put to sleep. There are simply too many dogs in rescue, dogs with excellent temperaments, with pedigrees, cute puppies and desirable breeds for a dog known to show aggression towards humans to be rehomed easily.

I don't mean to upset you - but a lot of people have the idea that there are a million and one happy families in country homes or farms with acres of land that they can send their unwanted or untrained or inconvenient dog to via a rescue. I do realise that especially with a child this is a very difficult situation for you to be in but on behalf of your dog I would ask you to at least think about contacting a qualified behaviourist to try to resolve the problem and give it a chance. In the meantime there are very likely common sense measures you can take to keep the 'problem' dog separate from the others, using child gates, crating during meal times or other stressful periods, or just keeping doors shut between them.

I hope I haven't offended you and it is not my intention to - I do understand how difficult this situation is. But every day I see and hear about lovely dogs being destroyed because there is simply no room for them in rescue or foster care, and they can't speak up for themselves. :(

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Burgess422
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->