Need your Advice on Bassinet

cskme_

Reaction score
So, I am a FTM. I had originally planned to have my baby sleep in a crib in her nursery, which also has a bed in it so I can sleep in there too if need be.
I was reading up on SIDS and kind of scared the crap out of myself and I am now thinking maybe I should have her in a bassinet beside my bed for the first while.
I don't want one of those fancy looking bassinets as I don't have much space in my bedroom, I don't want a heavy piece of furniture in my way as I try to navigate around my room.
I found this portable bassinet on Amazon, by Fisher Price. Toys R Us no longer sells it in Canada, nor does Fisher Price. I'm not sure why, but the only place I can find it is in the States or on Amazon.ca. It is only $100 here in Canada which is a great price as I wasn't looking for an expensive one if I'm only going to use it for a few months.
Here's the link https://www.amazon.ca/Fisher-Price-...5878&sr=8-3&keywords=fisher+price+rock+n+play

Can anyone tell me if its a bad idea to have my baby sleep in a portable bassinet for a few months? Am I wrong for doing this, because it is not a real solid frilly bassinet?

We used the bassinet feature in a pack n play. Lots of people have success with rock n plays. However, you need to watch out for baby developing muscle imbalances from not sleeping on a flat surface (ETA: looks like the rock-n-play you are looking at has the flat surface instead of the angled one I used to seeing in the USA.). Even sleeping on a flat surface it's good to rotate them 180 degrees every few days to prevent flat spots on the head from staring in one direction.

The advantage of the pack-n-play is that once they grow out of the bassinet top you've still got a play pen/travel bed. We still use ours with our 21 month old. Although she's just about able to climb out of it. We also got the thicker mattress pad for it because the one it comes with is thin. But my daughter still will sleep on it if push comes to shove.

The more sleeping surfaces you have to put baby down on the better. We found it idea to have a bassinet, bouncer or swing on every level of our split ranch. When the baby sleeps is the only time they aren't glued to you at first. Good idea!

We used the bassinet feature in a pack n play. Lots of people have success with rock n plays. However, you need to watch out for baby developing muscle imbalances from not sleeping on a flat surface (ETA: looks like the rock-n-play you are looking at has the flat surface instead of the angled one I used to seeing in the USA.). Even sleeping on a flat surface it's good to rotate them 180 degrees every few days to prevent flat spots on the head from staring in one direction.

The advantage of the pack-n-play is that once they grow out of the bassinet top you've still got a play pen/travel bed. We still use ours with our 21 month old. Although she's just about able to climb out of it. We also got the thicker mattress pad for it because the one it comes with is thin. But my daughter still will sleep on it if push comes to shove.

The more sleeping surfaces you have to put baby down on the better. We found it idea to have a bassinet, bouncer or swing on every level of our split ranch. When the baby sleeps is the only time they aren't glued to you at first. Good idea!

Yeah I'm still planning on getting her one of the swinging thingies (forgive me as I don't know what they're called lol) she will be in a more elevated position in the swing. This bassinet is going to be just for when I am going to sleep at night, otherwise she can be in her swing or in her crib. I'm even planning on baby wearing when possible. I would like to get a pack and play but unfortunately don't have enough room in my bedroom, and don't have anywhere to store it after it is not in use. So I'm just trying to find some small alternatives. It's good to know that putting her down in various places is better!

That looks aBsolutely fine! Baby doesn't care about fancy frilly stuff x

We're planning on using a Rock n Play for baby girl when she comes and until she's ready for her crib. Tons of people I know use the Rock n Play as their in room bassinet until babies were bigger.

We're planning on using a Rock n Play for baby girl when she comes and until she's ready for her crib. Tons of people I know use the Rock n Play as their in room bassinet until babies were bigger.

Okay perfect good to know! I was looking on Pinterest for cheaper bassinets and I saw someone using a laundry basket that they had turned into a bassinet. Lmao. I would never do that but it really made me think that maybe I am overthinking this whole thing

The laundry basket is actually a fine idea. Baby just needs a safe place to sleep. The sleep and play in the link you provided looks ideal for a newborn. The ones in the US aren't flat, so aren't good for overnight sleeping. I definitely wouldn't put much money in to it as it's so temporary. I had a bassinet, a pack and play, and a crib and didn't use any of them more that a handful of times.

Be careful with the rock n play, babies are very prone to developing flat heads. My 2nd daughter has a flat head due to the rock n play so we will not be using it with this baby.

We have a Graco travel lite crib/pack n play and purchased a foam mattress from Amazon and are using that. It is smaller than the regular pack n plays and has 3 levels you can put the mattress at just like a regular crib.

Do they not do Moses baskets there?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B0...4&sr=8-2&keywords=moses+baskets&pi=SY200_QL40

They are really cheap and portable. My wee one slept in one at her grandparents house up to about 7 months.

At our house she was in a swinging crib up to 5 months, no fancy frills or anything on it, but she got too strong and didn't have room to move around, so we moved her to a proper crib in her own room just before 6 months.

We also had a breathing monitor which reassured me massively, I still use it even for naps how and she is nearly 10 months.

Be careful with the rock n play, babies are very prone to developing flat heads. My 2nd daughter has a flat head due to the rock n play so we will not be using it with this baby.

We have a Graco travel lite crib/pack n play and purchased a foam mattress from Amazon and are using that. It is smaller than the regular pack n plays and has 3 levels you can put the mattress at just like a regular crib.

I was concerned about her getting a flat head too, is it just because the mattress is so firm? I haven't actually seen the product in person. She will only be sleeping in it at night for the hours that I am in bed, other than that I will be moving her to various surfaces to hopefully prevent that from happening. I will look into the Graco travel lite though, I haven't seen it yet im going to search it now! :)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B0...4&sr=8-2&keywords=moses+baskets&pi=SY200_QL40

They are really cheap and portable. My wee one slept in one at her grandparents house up to about 7 months.

At our house she was in a swinging crib up to 5 months, no fancy frills or anything on it, but she got too strong and didn't have room to move around, so we moved her to a proper crib in her own room just before 6 months.

We also had a breathing monitor which reassured me massively, I still use it even for naps how and she is nearly 10 months.

The mosas basket was my second option, I may end up getting it instead, I can't find the rock n play in stores and I don't know if I trust buying it off of amazon without seeing it first. My friend also had a mosas basket and she told me to get one so I will definitely go look it at in the store when I do my baby shopping spree in a couple weeks lol!

The mosas basket was my second option, I may end up getting it instead, I can't find the rock n play in stores and I don't know if I trust buying it off of amazon without seeing it first. My friend also had a mosas basket and she told me to get one so I will definitely go look it at in the store when I do my baby shopping spree in a couple weeks lol!

She loved her Moses basket and it was really easy, it comes off of the stand so it is really easy to let her nap in the living room then just carry her upstairs. Plus its mega cheap! The only thing I would say is we never used the duvet part as I didn't feel it was safe, we just wrapped her in a shawl or cellular blanket.

I was concerned about her getting a flat head too, is it just because the mattress is so firm? I haven't actually seen the product in person. She will only be sleeping in it at night for the hours that I am in bed, other than that I will be moving her to various surfaces to hopefully prevent that from happening. I will look into the Graco travel lite though, I haven't seen it yet im going to search it now! :)

There's no mattress with the rock n play, literally a hard piece of curved plastic with a cloth cover over it. We even put a blanket over it to make it softer, used rolled up receiving blankets to keep her head facing certain ways, only used it for sleep at night (she napped in the baby carrier during the day) and she still developed a flat head... not bad enough to where she needed a helmet but it's still pretty noticeable compared to dd#1 who slept in a crib.

I agree with Moses basket! It's what we used with DD and what we'll use this time. You can also get a stand that rocks and it's so light to carry

We love the Arm Reach cosleeper. Has a bassinette feature, then can be lowered once the baby can move a bit more. But what you have looks good too.

Re: flat head... We were told to switch sides that you put the baby down. Left side one night, right side the next. Once baby starts moving around, it's not an issue.

I used a rocking crib for DS upstairs and used the carrycot of my pram downstairs.

I have a friend who used the carrycot both upstairs and downstairs. However not all carrycots are recommended for overnight sleeping. Which I think is more related to the type of mattress than anything else.

So depending on what pram you opt for that might be an option.

Thanks everyone! I think I'm going to get the Moses basket. I didn't know that the rock n play is a hard piece of plastic. The Mosas baskets are cute anyways!

Mine didnt get flathead as I used to move them round.

Its crazy how many things you have to look out for with a baby. I will make sure to move her around. Is there a way of moving babys head to the side without making them lay on their side? I don't know if that's a stupid question LOL. I just don't want her rolling on her front if I put her on her side.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->