Neighbour put chilli powder on garden - cat deterrent?

sue_88

Reaction score
just watched my neighbour put chilli powder (A LOT of pwder - her borders are practically orange now) and I know she's done it because of the local cats.

We had a chat the other day about how to stop them pooing in our gardens - I find it absolutely disgusting and I am searching for a nice deterrent.

Is chilli powder harmful to cats? Should I say something to her? I don't want any cats getting hurt from it, they're someones pet and whilst the cat poo makes me really upset because it's all over my garden - harming an animal is just wrong.

Any thoughts?

Yeah I've read it's really bad. It gets in their paws and they rub it in their eyes when they clean themselves, can really hurt and irritate them as they will scratch and could do actual damage to their eyes. I would definitely tell her and suggest some safer repellents.

We have the same problem with cats coming into our garden, it drives me crazy. I don't let my dog go wandering into other people's gardens to do her business, and if I did I'd get in trouble for sure. So why is it ok for cats to do this? I really don't agree with cats roaming around freely outside, especially in cities and towns. Have a cat if you want but either keep it inside or move to the country.. Ok, rant over. Anyway, I haven't used any repellents really because our dog always plays in the garden, she would go and lick things like chilli powder for sure, I imagine it would hurt their nose and eyes and don't even want to imagine the poos that would follow!

I have cats and they poo in MY garden. We have a particular area that we don't let the kids go near and the cats do their business there.

That being said, if my cats came into contact with chilli powder (on their paws not their bum!) I would be livid. Cats roam around that's what they do, if you don't like my cat then spray it with a water pistol. Don't deliberately hurt it!!! How cruel. I would be going after my neighbour with a vet bill.

I used to have a problem with my kitty pooping in certain places so poured lemon juice around/over it and he hasn't pooped there since. Neither has the puppy either come to think of it.

Cats find citrus scents too overwhelming for their little noses.

Chili powder isn't pleasant if a human rubs it on their nose or eyes, it's much worse for a kitty.

If thats why shes done it then thats horrible :( i agree that cat poo in the garden would also be horrible but whatever happened to the bottles of water??

My cats dont like citrus sents. Its horrible putting chilli powder down as will cause pain. My cats are indoor cats so only go in litter tray. My cats dont like scent of satsuma peal though they have free reign in house so we dont use anything as deterant

My friend swears by coffee grounds!

When we first moved in the cats were using a bare patch of ground as the communal litter tray, not great with a very mobile 2 year old. We purchased a car deterrent product which was harmless but did the trick and we've been poo free for 3 years lol! We brought it from Aldi and it resembled green jelly like balls. I'm sure a quick google will show similar products xxx

Aww that's sly. I've been after a safe deterrent, my neighbour has five cats that always do their business in my garden. I don't have the time in the day to sit there with a water bottle ready to spray when one comes in, but I can't let Lucas run around in badly buried cat mess.
I wouldn't use something harmful though, that's awful. A friend once suggested I plant lilies because (supposedly) if the cats ate them they'd die. Lovely :wacko:

I used Cayenne Pepper to stop my own dog from digging in a certain spot in the yard. Cats and Dogs have extremely sensitive noses, and can smell that stuff a mile away. Kept him off the spot. He didn't go near it. It's a natural deterrent. I would say your neighbour is just trying to keep the cats out of her garden but not hurt them. Using a natural spice is one of the nicest ways I can think of. There are way, way worse things that a person can do.

Cats are smart. As soon as they smell that chilli powder they wont step foot on it. So don't worry about their little eyeballs!

If I found out my neighbour was doing that then I would be reporting them.

Yes cat poo pisses people off. I have 2 (who come inside to use the litter trays) BUT my neighbour has 3 who are often in the garden. I am sure I will find cat poo at some point in the borders.

Unfortunately cats roam and owners aren't subject to the same laws as dogs with regards to fouling.

Citrus is the best bet with regards to trying to stop fouling. Putting down something you know that will harm an animal is just wrong. We all live in this world together.

Personally I find dogs fouling on public foot paths and parks more annoying

I agree that the smell is more the deterrent than anything else. Rabbit owners often spray/rub citrus or Tabasco sauce on wires and anything else they can protect for the same reason. Like another poster said, they will smell it and avoid it. That being said, I think it's pretty pointless as any breeze would just blow it all over the place no? I know there are ultrasonic devices that emits an annoying sound to keep them away. Problem is, that would bother any other pets in the area as well. There are smelly plants, rocks, etc. that can work too. I've pretty much given up on it myself, though. I'd install rollers on my fence if it weren't a shared fence...
I, too, hate cats pooing in my garden and flowerbeds. It just annoys me that people just let them all over and let them annoy neighbors rather than clean up after them themselves. I do love animals, but I have enough (8) of my own to clean up after! As for dogs, I always clean up after mine and I hate it when others don't. I just don't see why it's so difficult to clean up after pets!

Ok ok, rant over... :haha:

I wish my cat would poo outside but nope he comes in uses the tray then goes back out.
I think cats aren't keen on citrus smells though

We have the same problem with cats coming into our garden, it drives me crazy. I don't let my dog go wandering into other people's gardens to do her business, and if I did I'd get in trouble for sure. So why is it ok for cats to do this? I really don't agree with cats roaming around freely outside, especially in cities and towns. Have a cat if you want but either keep it inside or move to the country.. Ok, rant over. Anyway, I haven't used any repellents really because our dog always plays in the garden, she would go and lick things like chilli powder for sure, I imagine it would hurt their nose and eyes and don't even want to imagine the poos that would follow!

Prsonslly I think that's a tad unfair. I agree in big cities with no gardens etc, but I live in a normal house, normal town. Large garden, it'd be unfair to expect my cat to stay inside. :dohh:

In terms of the chilli powder, how awful! I hope the cats will be okay :( x

Prsonslly I think that's a tad unfair. I agree in big cities with no gardens etc, but I live in a normal house, normal town. Large garden, it'd be unfair to expect my cat to stay inside. :dohh:

In terms of the chilli powder, how awful! I hope the cats will be okay :( x

From the view of someone who doesn't keep pets.. is it not unfair to expect others to clean up poo because you fancy having a cat?

I will have a word & see what she says.

I do hate the poo & cleaning it up makes me very nervous will bring pregnant, and we've addressed it with the neighbours who just say 'what can I do?' they're just yobs, but I still don't want to harm them so I'll see what she says about it. Not much I can do but have a word & say it probably isn't the best idea.

There are certain plants you can plant that will keep them away.

We have a cat, she goes out, she doesn't have a litter tray in the house. She poos some where, if I saw where she was I would clean it up. But as we have lots of woodland around us I am sure its in there. I am not going hunting for it in there :haha:

What are the plants? I'll buy something like that to keep them from my garden.

I will have a word & see what she says.

I do hate the poo & cleaning it up makes me very nervous will bring pregnant, and we've addressed it with the neighbours who just say 'what can I do?' they're just yobs, but I still don't want to harm them so I'll see what she says about it. Not much I can do but have a word & say it probably isn't the best idea.

I'm pretty sure as well that if someone is putting something down, knowing it will harm an animal (and doing it with a particular one in mind) they can get done for it.

it is a tough one. On one hand I do agree that they are cats, what can you do, but on the other hand I completely understand about not wanting cat poo in your garden as well. I guess I am lucky that I know where my cats poo as they don't leave our garden.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lynnedm78
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->