Neighbour put chilli powder on garden - cat deterrent?

I will find out the names of them when I am on laptop x

We have the same problem with cats coming into our garden, it drives me crazy. I don't let my dog go wandering into other people's gardens to do her business, and if I did I'd get in trouble for sure. So why is it ok for cats to do this? I really don't agree with cats roaming around freely outside, especially in cities and towns. Have a cat if you want but either keep it inside or move to the country.. Ok, rant over. Anyway, I haven't used any repellents really because our dog always plays in the garden, she would go and lick things like chilli powder for sure, I imagine it would hurt their nose and eyes and don't even want to imagine the poos that would follow!

Prsonslly I think that's a tad unfair. I agree in big cities with no gardens etc, but I live in a normal house, normal town. Large garden, it'd be unfair to expect my cat to stay inside. :dohh:

In terms of the chilli powder, how awful! I hope the cats will be okay :( x

From the view of someone who doesn't keep pets.. is it not unfair to expect others to clean up poo because you fancy having a cat?

No I understand the frustration with the mess, my cat won't mess in my garden.. She has a litter tray but refuses to use it. She shouldn't be confined to living inside. It's not 'fancy owning a cat' in my eyes, cats exist.. They shouldn't be confined to indoors because they roam. I completely understand the mess being annoying..

She won't mess in my garden, but two other cats do from next door. and I have to clear it. Yes it's annoying, but I don't think it's the owners fault because.. What can they do? and I also don't think that cats should be confined because of it. We wouldn't cage birds/foxes etc because their mess annoyed us. Cats can climb, they're independent, it's useless to expect owners to follow them as they can roam large distances, but it'd be cruel to confine them indoors if that's not what they want. (I know some cats like to be inside cats) just my opinion :winkwink: I have a dog I clear up after, and if my cat would do it wear me I'd clean that too.

https://www.bloomingdirect.com/coleus-canina-scaredy-cat-x-5-plants

its actually called scaredy cat :rofl:

I would like to say my cats only use my garden but who knows with cats.. more annoying is the "friends" they bring home for dinner... and i don't mean to eat! Just stray cats lmao...

I agree with a previous poster. I don't want a cat, why should I have to pick up cat poo from my own garden? :s makes no sence to me. They piss me off tbh, they sit on my car, they tease my dog, they even sometimes sneak in to my house!!!!! Ive sprayed them with water but they keep coming back...
So why should I have to go to the extent to spend my own money on fixing a problem that I didn't choose to have?

Argh im getting pissed off just thinking about it. That said, I'd never ever hurt them.

We have the same problem with cats coming into our garden, it drives me crazy. I don't let my dog go wandering into other people's gardens to do her business, and if I did I'd get in trouble for sure. So why is it ok for cats to do this? I really don't agree with cats roaming around freely outside, especially in cities and towns. Have a cat if you want but either keep it inside or move to the country.. Ok, rant over. Anyway, I haven't used any repellents really because our dog always plays in the garden, she would go and lick things like chilli powder for sure, I imagine it would hurt their nose and eyes and don't even want to imagine the poos that would follow!

Prsonslly I think that's a tad unfair. I agree in big cities with no gardens etc, but I live in a normal house, normal town. Large garden, it'd be unfair to expect my cat to stay inside. :dohh:

In terms of the chilli powder, how awful! I hope the cats will be okay :( x

From the view of someone who doesn't keep pets.. is it not unfair to expect others to clean up poo because you fancy having a cat?

No I understand the frustration with the mess, my cat won't mess in my garden.. She has a litter tray but refuses to use it. She shouldn't be confined to living inside. It's not 'fancy owning a cat' in my eyes, cats exist.. They shouldn't be confined to indoors because they roam. I completely understand the mess being annoying..

She won't mess in my garden, but two other cats do from next door. and I have to clear it. Yes it's annoying, but I don't think it's the owners fault because.. What can they do? and I also don't think that cats should be confined because of it. We wouldn't cage birds/foxes etc because their mess annoyed us. Cats can climb, they're independent, it's useless to expect owners to follow them as they can roam large distances, but it'd be cruel to confine them indoors if that's not what they want. (I know some cats like to be inside cats) just my opinion :winkwink: I have a dog I clear up after, and if my cat would do it wear me I'd clean that too.
Im one with cats who choose to be indoors. My 2 are wimps lol. One if he goes outside shakes like a leaf and the other only wants to go out on lead. One house we were in had car park outside as not going out them led to them wanting to be indoors lol. There is plants you can plant though not sure which. Some people use orange or satsuma peal

I agree with a previous poster. I don't want a cat, why should I have to pick up cat poo from my own garden? :s makes no sence to me. They piss me off tbh, they sit on my car, they tease my dog, they even sometimes sneak in to my house!!!!! Ive sprayed them with water but they keep coming back...
So why should I have to go to the extent to spend my own money on fixing a problem that I didn't choose to have?

Argh im getting pissed off just thinking about it. That said, I'd never ever hurt them.

There are that many cats on our estate it really is ridiculous. I can't open my windows more than an inch or leave my doors open while I unload the car because they just wander in uninvited - we thought we had burglars at 2.30am one night because there was an almighty crash and thud on our landing but it turns out we'd left the landing window too far open and some stupid cat came in and knocked one of my husbands limited edition - and out of production - thunderbird figurines off of the windowsill. If we were to replace it the cost would be close to £100. Most of the shrubs and bushes in my garden are dead at the bottom from where they have sprayed their scent on them. We got new garden furniture a couple of years ago and forgot to take the (cream) cushions off before we went in for the night and the cats decided it would be a nice, comfy place to sleep - the cushions are now ruined. Why should we have to put up with it, have our property ruined and waste our money replacing things? If you have a pet you should either keep it indoors or make sure it can't get out of your garden. I don't give a monkeys if cats like to wander or climb - it's the owners responsibility to make sure they don't ruin other people's property.

But like others have said, I wouldn't hurt them. It just makes me angry that I can't have free reign of my own property without someone's pet invading.

i bloody hate cats. the amount of times i have to spray them because they are chasing the squirells & birds around the garden. Also had to rescue a few squirells & take them to the vets.
LO cant play in the garden because its full of cat shit but i cant put a repellant down because its a communal garden & next door have an indoor cat who occasionally comes outside for a wander when the owners are outside.

i cant leave any windows or doors open because they come in & help themselves to LOs left over lunch.

i left my car door open the other day as was unloading my shopping & one decided it would scratch up all my front seat. little Fu****!

cats are one of the reasons we agreed to move house in the end!
I didnt know chillie powder was harmful to them, in terms of your neighbour op i would just let them know..
I went scouring the net to try and stop our old next door neighbours stupid little thing keep shitting in our garden. We tried so much, SPENT so much on trying to stop her cat literally shitting everywhere.
We put new large gravel down as fil reckoned it would only like small gravel bits. It then moved on to the grass and patio area.
We bought countless cat deterrents and an electric noise thing to scare it away. Nothing worked. Every day id come down to the lovely smell of fresh cat shit in my back and front garden..not just one but usually 4/5.
Caused us so much stress and arguments, had to constantly search the garden making sure my toddler didnt find any.
We moved 6 months ago and, no more cat poo :happydance: Thankgod! Now everytime i see a cat in my garden i bang on the window to scare it away.

we have the same problem with cats in our garden and are looking for ways to deter them. my dad has filled the sides of his garden with glass marbles which appear to have worked. apparently it keeps the cats away because when the glass marbles shimmer in the light, it looks like water and the cats won't go anywhere near it. a nice feature and cat deterrant in one! we're looking to get some when we go up at the weekend xx

we have the same problem with cats in our garden and are looking for ways to deter them. my dad has filled the sides of his garden with glass marbles which appear to have worked. apparently it keeps the cats away because when the glass marbles shimmer in the light, it looks like water and the cats won't go anywhere near it. a nice feature and cat deterrant in one! we're looking to get some when we go up at the weekend xx

That sounds very pretty

I keep a spritz bottle with orange essential oil and water and if I see cats in the garden I spritz them. I grow my own veg and fruit and find it disgusting when there is cat poo in the veg patch!

i totally agree with this and Im a cat owner! My cat goes out but i know she does her business in my own garden as i clean it up. iv told my neighbours if my cat is ever a bother to them to let me know but yes Even though i have my own cat i get angry when i see other cats come into my garden i dont mind cleaning up after my own pet but im not wanting to do it for someone elses so i can totally imagine how infuriating it would be to not even own a cat and have to deal with there mess! have you ever tried pet correct ? its like a spray air it lets out a loud hiss i can imagine would give them a fright if they were trying to wander into your home etc.

Ugh I've tried pepper,egg shells, orange Peel,Satsuma Peel and I've got two dogs but we still get cats shitting in our garden. Drives me batty.

Honestly, if I've gone to the neighbor about a problem cat or dog, or any animal, and they kept comming into the yard and shitting and they weren't trying anything to help with the problem, I'd warn them one more time, if i see your cat loose without the owner around, I'm going to take it to the pound. It's a stray animal on the streets and in my yard disrupting my family and home.

As a cat owner.

They are animals- not humans. They do not have the brain capacity that we do- they poo in gardens. They just haven't got it in them to realise sometimes the gardens they choose to shit in isn't theirs- they simply don't know the difference. Just like when people let their cats sleep on windowsills but then get annoyed when they jump onto kitchen counters- they don't know the difference. Simple.

You can't expect people to keep their cats locked up- a) I don't think its fair as cats are natural born explorers and hunters (like it or not- its true) and b) I dont want to have a shitbox in my house with a 10 month old and a baby on the way. Who wants to change dirty cat litter while they are pregnant? Not me.

I get it is annoying...but in the great scheme of things its nothing to worry about- and I am incredibly jealous of your life if that is the biggest thing you had to worry about.

As for the chilli pepper- well, if I was her neighbour- I would just hope and pray that woman didn't have animals of her own- because if she did, I would be straight on to the RSPCA as it would raise big questions to me about what she considers appropriate methods to keep an animal under control.

That has made me a little sick if im honest- and if anyone did that to my cat, I wouldn't have a problem throwing chilli pepper back in their eyes and seeing how they liked it. And then handing them the veterinary bill afterwards, of course :D

I really don't understand what is so difficult about taking 10-15 seconds out of your life, getting a plastic bag and picking the poop up off the ground. Causing potential harm to an animal and/or taking it to the pound or whatever- surely that just causes more, and longer term, grief?

The thing that would piss me off most about it is that cat poo can be harmful to kids, why should I have to worry about checking for cat poo everytime my daughter goes into her own garden?

I don't have a garden anymore but I hated my neighbours cat, it broke my Los paddling pool and used to shit in my garden constantly! I don't like cats though so I am not in the best position to sympathise. I always thought chilli powder was used because cats could smell it and would avoid it like the plague.

Littlecookie, you say you don't keep your house inside because you have kids and dont want your house to be a shitbox - then can't you kind of understand why people with kids don't want other peoples pets filling their gardens with shit?!

I hate cats. With a passion. But I'd never physically harm one.

If a cat was periodically shitting in my garden, I would be taking it to the pound each and every time I busted it on my property. If it's someone's pet, they should be keeping a closer eye on it and ensuring it doesn't escape its own yard if they want it outside.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Peanut2024
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->