Nervous about BF the first few days after birth

wish4baby

Reaction score
This is my 5th, all have been BF, so I feel confident we'll get it down eventually...
But, I have to have c-sections. Every time the stay in the hospital has been awful - regarding breast feeding. The nurses always insist on giving baby formula or glucose water, (because?) my milk takes a few days to come in - they say LO has "low blood sugar" which I think is nonsense, it seems like they just want to give the baby food. (I definitely am producing colostrum during this time, only it's a small amount)
My kids are typically big at birth - 8-9.5 lb, so it's not like they are in danger if they lose a bit... And it seems like baby cries the whole time because of hunger. I am so nervous about it, I dread going though those couple of days!
Is there anyway to make my milk come in sooner, like the same day? Should I pump and save whatever I get beforehand, so when they say baby needs formula, I can use what I pumped instead?

I would hand express some colostrum now and freeze it. Dont pump as they are a few studies that say you can induce labour. Dont let the nurses make you feel bad you have probably got more experience than they have!

Can you tell the nurses that you don't want your baby to have formula? I don't know why people are so quick to formula when the mom is bf. A dr stuck a bottle in my baby's mouth when he was 4 days old because she said he wasn't getting enough milk and told me I needed to supplement. He is 3 1/2 months now and I am still struggling to get him off the bottle. I wish I stuck it out a bit longer before he got formula. He is my fist so I didn't know any better. This being your 5th, you know what to expect. Good luck!

I would tell the nurses to back the hell off & let you feed your baby.

Feed feed feed will bring your milk in, formula & other stuff will only fill your baby up so they won't nurse, thus delaying the milk coming.

Be strong.

I have adamantly told them no formula or glucose water every time...They just force it by saying its medically necessary because of low blood sugar :( I find it hard to believe that all 4 of my kids, born healthy and with no issues ever, have all had low blood sugar a few hours after birth (I have never had GD or anything). More likely, nurse just didn't like hearing baby fuss because I don't have milk right away.
I think I will express as much as possible and freeze it to bring, in case they try to say that again, or if baby is not getting satisfied by what i am producing those first few days.
How long can frozen colostrum be stored in a regular freezer?

Educate yourself on normal blood sugar levels for newborns and when they want to give the sugar water or formula insist a blood reading is done first, they will soon change their tune when they realise you know what you're talking about. I doubt they will even want to do the blood test and that will be that :). Colostrum can keep for about three months in a regular freezer I believe xx

It takes between 2-4 days for most women to get milk in. Nurse frequently in the hospital....it's the only way to encourage it to come in quicker.

Put it in writing that they do not have permission to do so.
Xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->