nervous about having a sweep tomorrow. Please share your experiences?

hanni

Reaction score
Ladies who have had sweeps please share your experiences.

Did they hurt? We're they successful?

I'm nervous! Any feedback would be much appreciated :)

Personally I haven't had one, but have read about others having them done and my midwife mentioned it.
I think in general it will feel cramp-ish. Like a menstrual cramp feeling. It probably hurts more for some than others. Partially it could depend how soft and low the cervix is. I've also heard you can experience the cramp feelings after, but it's normal and good.

With my last pregnancy my sweep wasn't much worse than a normal exam.

I don't know if it worked or if labor would have started when it did anyway, but I lost my mucus plug the next day and labor started the day after that if I remember correctly!

With my daughter I had a sweep and it was really painful! I'm not sure if my doctor was just really rough but honestly I screamed in pain and then bled after. Reading stories though I don't think what I experienced is the norm?

I had 3 of them with my last. They weren't comfortable but I just held dh's hand and it was over pretty quick. None of them worked for me. But my body wasn't ready to go yet.

uncomfy but not painful. Worked with my first... didn't with my second. Had to be induced a week later, even though i was already 3 cms... ughh. haha.

Crampy feeling afterwards is quite normal and i bit of brown discharge/blood on the toilet paper.

You basically get up on the bed, they will give u a blanket or paper towel type things (they are huge) to cover up with then u lay down, bring ure knees up to ure stomach, keep ure ankles together and spread ure knees.. very dignified hahah. Good luck x

I didn't find them too bad, but I also don't find smear tests too uncomfortable either. I had one with each of my children and neither worked. I think they might just kick start things if your body is pretty much ready to go already.

I had 2 with my last pregnancy. Didn't find them painful, just weird feeling. Bleed a little afterwards as expected. After second sweep the midwife sent us home and told us to have sex. I was 9 days overdue and didn't want to be induced really, woke up at 6 the next morning with contractions and had baby 8 hours later, I think it helped encourage things along.

Thanks ladies! I suppose next to being in labour any discomfort will be nothing. It doesn't sound like it's got a very good success rate though :/ time will tell I suppose! 😊

I had one with my last baby. I came in for my 38 week checkup and was already really dilated without contractions. The midwife offered to do a sweep and I accepted. Honestly, it was uncomfortable, but not overly so. Kind of like getting a cervical swab in terms of discomfort.

At any rate, it worked for me! I started having contractions a few minutes after the sweep, the hospital booked me in L&D and my son was born 4 hours later. The sweep gets my seal of approval. :thumbup:

I had one with my last baby. I came in for my 38 week checkup and was already really dilated without contractions. The midwife offered to do a sweep and I accepted. Honestly, it was uncomfortable, but not overly so. Kind of like getting a cervical swab in terms of discomfort.

At any rate, it worked for me! I started having contractions a few minutes after the sweep, the hospital booked me in L&D and my son was born 4 hours later. The sweep gets my seal of approval. :thumbup:

Experience like this please! I hope mines as successful as yours was.

I had a sweep at 9am on my due date with DS and 12 hours later labour started. I was 2-3cm when she did the sweep so my body must have been getting ready. DS was born at 9pm the next night. It is uncomfortable but not much more than a smear and I think it I had not been dilated at all she wouldn't have tried. Hope this helps x

It feels like they are checking your cervix, but then they linger a little bit longer and wiggle their finger around. I wouldn't say it hurt, but it was a little more uncomfortable for me than a regular cervix check. I had one done at 38 weeks and it did not work, had another at 39 weeks and the next day my baby was born.

With my second, all the dr had to do was check my cervix and that was enough to send me straight into labor that night.

From my experience and in reading about them, if your body is ready, it will work. Otherwise, it won't do anything.

I just had my sweep today! It was VERY uncomfortable but not really painful. I don't know if it worked, but I had a little bit of blood for a few hours after but no contractions yet. I do hope it works, cause I'd rather not be induced!

I couldn't feel a thing when I had mine with DD. When she did the sweep she said I was already 4cm dilated so think she just skimmed away any remaining membrane. I had DD the day after. I guess with no/minimal dilation they can be v u comfortable or painful - depends on the above reason xx

I had one with my last it didn't do anything but was very painful (though any time they go down there it's painful) so it's probably just my body.

Do obgyn 's do this as well, or is it just a midwife thing? I see a lot of UK ladies talk about them, but not many from the US. Just wondering if this is something I may come across or not.

I gad one with DD2 at 38w2d. I eas already 3-4cm dilated and didn't feel anything:) I was in active labor 5 hours later:winkwink:

I had one with DD2 at 38w2d. I was already 3-4cm dilated and didn't feel anything:) I was in active labor 5 hours later:winkwink:

Update!
She attempted the sweep but couldn't do it because babies head is in the way?? So I have an induction booked on Wednesday! There is an end in sight!! 😄

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->