nervous about having a sweep tomorrow. Please share your experiences?

Do obgyn 's do this as well, or is it just a midwife thing? I see a lot of UK ladies talk about them, but not many from the US. Just wondering if this is something I may come across or not.

From what I've read I think it's just a uk thing? Doesn't hurt to ask your obgyn though! :)

Update!
So the midwife I had yesterday got things started and my waters have broken. I started getting contractions every 5 minutes so we headed in to get checked and the midwife at the hospital gave me the mother of all sweeps. It was agonising! Pains are now coming on much stronger and faster. She said she expected me to be back within 4 hours and if I haven't had baby by tonight I'm being induced at 8pm. Scary!
How do you ladies do this more than once?!

Oooo good luck - as for doing it again I keep on asking myself that question lol!x

Update!
So the midwife I had yesterday got things started and my waters have broken. I started getting contractions every 5 minutes so we headed in to get checked and the midwife at the hospital gave me the mother of all sweeps. It was agonising! Pains are now coming on much stronger and faster. She said she expected me to be back within 4 hours and if I haven't had baby by tonight I'm being induced at 8pm. Scary!
How do you ladies do this more than once?!

you'll be fine! :hugs: Remember we have been doing this for thousands of years and now we have the added benefits of pain killers! haha :)

Good luck !

Do obgyn 's do this as well, or is it just a midwife thing? I see a lot of UK ladies talk about them, but not many from the US. Just wondering if this is something I may come across or not.

From what I've read I think it's just a uk thing? Doesn't hurt to ask your obgyn though! :)

We do it in the US, it just has a different name - Stripping membranes. My OBGYN does it for me near the end of pregnancy.

Update!
My little boy was born at 14:17 by emcs under a general Anaesthetic after 42 hours of labour (about 16 hours of their "active labour") He weighs a whopping 9lb 3 and is just perfect!

bit more of a story...
I went back at 4 pm to get checked and was only a 3 cm. In the end it had been around 41 hours since labour first started an I'd only progressed to a 7! I'd even gone backwards from being an 8 so they advised me to have a section since his head had started to swell and it was clear from the slow progress he was going to have a hard time fitting.
I accepted the csection and it was all systems go, 10 people asking me questions at once,everyone around me doing things to me and rushing. I'd had an epidural at about 5cm so they administered a stronger dose however it didn't take properly to one side so they decided they'd would re position it. Before they got the change to babies hard rate dropped, my partner was kicked out of theatre and I was informed they didn't have any time and I was put fully to sleep within about 30 seconds.
I awoke about 1.5 later dazed, groggy and confused unable to move. They wheeled around this tiny beautiful boy in a cot but left him about 4 ft away from me so I could just see his shape. It was heart breaking I didn't know anything about him. He was partly dressed, I didn't know how much he weighed or anything, it was so surreal. Then my partner and mum came in and things got better, I finally got to hold and feed him. He tool straight to boobie like a little champ and weights a whopping 9lb 3!! I am smitten with the little chunky bum and can't stop staring at him.

It was by far the longest most horrific experience of my life but I'm just glad it's all over and I have my beautiful boy lying farting away on me 😂�

Congratulations on your little mans arrival :flower:.

Sounds quite horrific what you went through, It sounds though that you had amazing staff on your side who made quick decisions when you/baby needed it.

Nobody ever knows how labour will go, some people just pop them out and others suffer some complications like you - im glad you're both well though :winkwink:.

All the best for recovery xxx

Congratulations, hope you have a speedy recovery x

Congrats! I'm sorry about your experience being horrible but glad to hear that you and your baby are doing okay. :hugs:

Awwww congratulations on your little boy! Sorry you had such a horrible experience though. Hope you have a nice speedy recovery x

Congrats on your little man! Sorry it happened the way it did, but I'm sure it was all worth it in the end.

Congrats :) I'm sorry it wasn't an easy labour. These things are so unpredictable

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->