New baby, new mattress. Co-Sleeping?

2ndtimeluckyX

Reaction score
So I keep reading that for every new baby you have you should purchase new mattresses for moses/crib/cot so as to reduce the risk of SID's. Great, anything to reduce the risks of that! :thumbup: So I've ordered a new mattress for the crib tonight, but it just got me thinking. When I had Lottie she spent the first 3 or 4 weeks in our bed, I had no idea about the new mattress thing and ours was about 2 years old then! So do you co-sleeping parents buy a new mattress when you have a new baby?????? I loved co-sleeping but this has worried me a bit. We had a new mattress a couple of weeks ago but it won't be 'new' when baby is born?

We bed share, and since we use a new waterproof quilted matress pad over the mattress, I've never worried about it. I'm not going to toss my entire queen matress each baby!

No you don't need a new mattress but make sure you follow the co sleeping safety guidelines. Also babies shouldn't sleep on memory foam - its hot and it sinks down.

I buy a new Moses basket/cot mattress Everytime but not my bed because I think co sleeping itself is the biological norm for babies so that counters any increased risk of not having a new mattress. If that makes sense lol

New adult mattresses can potentially give off fumes anyway so it is probably better if your mattress is a little bit older as opposed to brand new. We were going to get a new mattress during the pregnancy as ours is still ok spring wise but quite badly stained on the cover thanks to my youngest being a sicky baby when he was much smaller, but ikea turned my OH down for finance (the perks of being self employed grr) so we just got a new mattress topper instead, it's only a thin cheap water resistant backed one from ikea but it does the job xx

ETA: I hasten to add the mattress underneath is clean as I have cleaned it that many times with my carpet and upholstery machine and other upholstery cleaning products just some of the stains won't come out and they don't look too pretty

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->